Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 9, 2003 * Is my yeast bad? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Tim Pratt (67.30.112.142)
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a E-Mail I just sent. Please give me your input///

I used your WLP300 for the first time today and have a quick question. I pitched the tube into a 2 pint starter as I always do two days ago. I practice good sanitation when preparing starters. Every thing went normal and today I pitched the starter into the wort. About one half hour later I was cleaning and smelt the bottle I had used to do the starter. It smelled of rotten eggs. Is this normal for WLP300. The starter was at 68F for 40 hrs. I do not remember smelling this when I pitched. The only thing out of the ordinary I can think of is that there was a brown spot in the vile when I bought it. It was about the size of an eraser head and reminded me of coffee trub at the bottom of a cup of coffee. What are your thoughts. Is this normal?
Thanks
Tim Pratt

Michael Boyd (66.81.49.241)
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim, I can't answer if it's normal for WLP 300, but sometimes wort can smell like rotten eggs. I pour off the top of the starter, to pitch the slurry, and taste it before I pitch. I picked up this habit when once I had a moment to pause while in the midst of pitching and Jeez Louise was the starter bad. You'll know.
At this point I'd suggest letting it ferment, then tasting it.

JOHN K. LEE (206.66.239.111)
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Tim,
My last tube of WLP had a small spot on it as well. I didn't notice it until I got home from my LHBS. This was on a Saturday evening and I was planning to brew Sunday. I was a little concerned myself. I had bought the tube on a spur of the moment type basis because the WY bavarian lager I intended to use for this batch had been sitting in my fridge for 4 months. I did'nt want to risk it. To make long story short...It turned out fine...granted I didn't make a starter so it took about 36 hrs to see visable signs of fermentation. Way too long in my book but my vienna style lager has been sitting in the secondary at 50 degrees for 2 weeks. I plan to rack into a keg over the holiday and let it lager until Christmas. Well, I hope I can wait that long. I kinda promised my brother in Corpus Cristi, TX that I'd bring it down and drink it with him. We'll see.
-J.K.L.

P.S. I didn't realize when you posted this..your probably listening to you beer ferment right now, huh?

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> but sometimes wort can smell like rotten eggs.

wyeast 3068 does this. After the initial 'banana producing' phase subsides I normally see (smell) a rotten egg phase.

Okierat (32.97.110.142)
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have not tried WPL300, but I did a Wizenbock with WPL380 Hefe IV and got a strong smoke/burnt smell and taste at racking, almost a week ago. Took a sniff the other day and did not notice any smoke, I will be taking a sample this weekend to see if it is still there.

Robert

Jared Cook (24.1.247.22)
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 01:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have noticed the same thing with WLP300. I smelled a little sulfer, and it smelled a little sour. I knew not to worry because many times yeast starters don't smell so nice. The ferment, BTW, didn't smell too good either. The resulting beer was a world class hefeweizen. Enjoy!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.