Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 19, 2003 * Candi sugar < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Anthony Armbruster (24.3.188.243)
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

should I just substitute, oz for oz, with cane sugar or corn sugar? For the dark candi sugar, anyway to make up for the color?

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use table sugar in the same quantity. Don't worry about the color contribution of dark candi - it's negligible.

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, when do you normally add it? full boil?

Tony Garton (135.214.42.68)
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kralpen can be added to make up for the color contribution lost from using table sugar.

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found some Kralpen under my bed, it looks old and little crusty, so I think I'll hold off on that!

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add it like Brandon mentioned...
I add all sugar in the last 15-20 mins of boil....

Walt

David Woods (67.242.69.187)
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adding sugar at the begining of the boil will affect the utilization of the hops. Always add raw sugar (read honey, white sugar, candy sugar, ect) at the end of the boil.

If it's a big beer, then even the secondary might be good enough to not overextend the yeast.

David

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, I already made my triple, and without reading the posts, I added it with 30 min left. Next time I'll wait till' last 10 min. I was considiring adding strait to secondary, like David said, possibly after the first few active days to rouse the yeast. When should I add sugar into the secondary with a big beer?

This beer was a triple OG=1.076 w/1.75lb cane sugar (substitued for candi sugar).

My next beer is going to be a dubbel OG=1.072 w/8oz cane sugar.

When would You recomend adding the sugar for these beers?

Fredrik (213.114.44.229)
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Btw, as I understand candi sugar is sucrose, it's just that they've grown large crystals of it and made it look cool. But once dissolved I can't imagine that it would be any difference at all. Aren't the colours (if any) just some impurities due to the manufacturing method like heating?

/Fredrik

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that the color comes from partial carmelization and not from impurities. I have seen "Sugar in the Raw" which is unprocessed cane sugar...it's brown.

Marlon Lang (68.18.122.22)
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Raw sugar is brown because it contins traces of dirt/bugs/ash from the field, and also some molassas. Refined white sugar has all this stuff "distilled" out. Refined brown sugar still contains the molassas. There is a lot of sugar grown here in Louisiana and I've used raw sugar to brew. Because it has less sucrose per unit, you need to add a little more (say, 15%). The crud settles out with the trub. Otherwise, no difference between table sugar, raw sugar, candi sugar, et. al. when it comes to brewing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.