Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 19, 2003 * No clamps needed < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeremy S (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am always PO'd by my tubing when racking. It always has a small leak that lets air get in and introduces oxygen. I found a simple soulution...teflon tape! I insert my racking cane or bottle filler and give the joint a few wraps and I have an air tight seal. Easy to remove and I don't have to go look around for SS clamps, .69 for a 260' roll too. Anyone else ever tried this with similar results?

David Beckerdite (12.218.114.253)
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NO, I've never even thought of tef tape before. Thanks for the heads up.

David B.

John From NH (64.222.170.215)
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Jeremy,
What size tubing are you using? I usually have the opposite problem of the seal being too tight and not being able to seperate them after racking! :) Also, just as a side note, are you sure that it is air that is getting into your beer? Sometime some CO2 can come out of solution while transfering and cause bubbles in your hose...just a thought.
John

Paul Hayslett (64.252.34.35)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with air leaks. I wrap a rubber band around the hose before sliding it onto the cane, then roll it up over the joint. Works fine.

I also had the same problem with not being able to separate them. Then I found that if you PUSH the tubing further up onto the cane a tad, it introduces just enough liquid into the joint to lubricate it. The tubing then slides right off. I wish I'd known that before I broke my Auto-Siphon yanking on the tubing.

Jeremy S (198.81.18.138)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use 3/8" ID tubing and it works great for the first couple times, but it seems like the sanitizing solution or somthing is making it expand. So I just came up with this idea. Took my old tubing put my bottle filler in and wrapped the joint and blew as hard as I could...no leak, tried the same thing with suction...same result. I know it's not CO2 because it does it while I rack to primary, that's OK I know, but not from primary to secondary or when bottling.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.