Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 19, 2003 * Has anybody used the Kegman on a Sanke? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Wm John Ivey (12.72.96.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was on the kegman's site and saw a conversion device so us homebrewers could use sanke kegs instead of cornies. I wondered if anyone has tried this and if it is worth while to look at.
Thanks
John

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What product are you referring to, John? A number of homebrewers use Sanke kegs, which are commonly available in half-barrel (15.5 US gallons) and quarter-barrel sizes (7.75 gallons). There are also 50 liter European Sanke kegs. All that is required for dispensing is a Sanke coupler to connect the keg to the tap and the regulator. These can be found for about $25-$30 if you shop around.

Cleaning Sanke kegs without a dedicated keg washing system requires removal of the center spear, which is secured with a spiral ring. This can be done with a small pliers and screwdriver or a replacement snap ring can be purchased that simplifies the process. Either way it's not difficult once you have a little experience.

Wm John Ivey (66.238.8.34)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, when I bought my kegerator, it still had a European sanke inside, I was wondering since I make 10 gal batches using a sanke would be very convenant. The Kegman is a way to reuse kegs, but I don't know what it is or if it will do what I want. And yes it came with all connections so that part is taken care of.
Thanks
John

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, are you referring to this?

KegMan Kit

This is the keg spear replacement ring I mentioned above. At $8.95, it's somewhat pricey but it does make it easier to remove and reinstall the spear for keg cleaning. The parts themselves (a stainless spring snap ring and rubber o-ring) are probably available elsewhere (McMaster-Carr perhaps?), although once again it's a matter of whether you want to go to the trouble of sizing and ordering the proper items.

I don't have a problem with the existing spiral ring on Sanke kegs, removing and installing it with a small screwdriver blade and pliers. However, I can see why others might prefer the KegMan replacement.

Steven (207.238.113.189)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the kegman rings on my sankeys and am happy with them. I've removed and replaced the existing ring as Bill mentioned and it can be done but the Kegman ring is much easier.

Cheers!

Steve

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.