Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 19, 2003 * All vienna vienna < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Drew Avis (209.226.137.107)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I was perusing DGB last night for tips on making a vienna, and it seems no-one uses a large % of vienna malt. This is interesting, because this style relies on a nice maltiness. The style relative, bock, is often brewed with 50-100% munich malt... so why aren't viennas brewed with vienna?

This is not an idle question... I bought a 25kg sack of MFB vienna malt with a view to brewing a couple of viennas this winter. And if I don't use a large %, I'll have a lot left over!

Tom Gardner (162.119.240.100)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed an all-Vienna Vienna and really liked it. No caramel or anything. It was judged as needing more complexity, whatever that is. go for it. Tom

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed a lager with 8 lbs. Durst vienna, 0.75 lb. caravienne last winter. OG 1.050, 24 IBUs Saaz and Mittelfrueh. I agree with Tom's judges, as I thought it was bland. It lacked the crispness of a pilsner, or the maltiness of a munich. It was a hit with my megaswill drinking friends, however.

Not to say that vienna won't make a good base malt. I just think you're going to have to add some crystal to it to get some flavor. Also, consider brewing a vienna with some corn.
Personally, I preferred viennas that are 50%pils/50% munich over the all-vienna that I brewed. Like this one I tapped last night:

(5 gals)
3.5 lbs. 6-row
1.5 lbs. 2-row
3.5 lbs. light munich
0.25 lbs. pale chocolate malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich II
1.5 lbs. polenta (cereal mashed)
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer 60 min
0.5 oz. Tettnanger 30 min
0.5 oz. Mittelfueh 30 min
OG 1.062 24 IBUs

This recipe was based loosely on Bill Pierce's Negra Modello clone recipe. After lagering for 5 weeks and force-carbing, this is one tasty beer. The only thing I'll change next time is beefing up the NB bittering hops to 0.75 oz.

Midwest Brewer (194.205.123.10)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to the poop in the BJCP guidelines, the Oktoberfest style can be made w/100% Vienna malt. I would think that a 122 / 148 / 158 mash schedule would work very well for this as it would get both the crispness and malt backbone it needs.

MWB

Hallertauer (195.93.73.6)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What good is the 122? I quite like this style to have a nice head. A little irish moss at the end of the boil would clear it up just as nice.

Good call with the 148 / 158 though.

Drew Avis (209.226.137.106)
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. I'm sure many people have brewed 50-100% vienna viennas, but I was amazed that none of them were in the 2nd round NHC, according to Daniels... which is what started me wondering. I'll boost w/ a bit of caravienne and bump the tett a bit to get a little more hop "crispness".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.