Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * The " BrewBarrow" tm here's a mockup pic. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I kept looking at all these brew stands with so much wasted space under them. Then it hit me.. Just use a thin structure with a collapsible leg to support everything. The HLT is as low as I can get the burner. The Boil is as low as I can get to fill my fermenter through a chillzilla type cfc. I was going to add a removable MT table with stowable legs but then why not just set it on top of the Boil keg..My plans call for using 2.25" x 5" c channel beams but they weigh 3#/ft. and this ladder supports me and the kegs so I will consider a very lightweight design.. The burners will be of steel and a little isolated from the AL to help in heat. KISS.. keep it simple stupid
All kinds of Comments welcome...

BrewBarrow

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would reverse the boil n hlt, but either way, it should work.. Dont forget however that a butt load of heat comes outta the bottom of the burners... too close to the ground will cause alotta heat there...
Also, ive heard people complain about boil steam coming up, hitting the bottom of the MLT and then dripping back into the boil keg...not the best thing..

Walt

Ralph Diamond (142.177.144.223)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently brewing with a collapsable stand not quite as eligant as your multi tasking version. But here are my thoughts 1)a fixed rig will not take anymore room because when brew day is over you still need to store your kegs (just turn them upside down and there ready for next time). 2) whenever someone finds out what they have just drank had been made in my garage they usually want a tour (if the whole thing is on wheels I can just have it outa the way and rolled back for a discussion on beta amalyse and conversion temp). 3) I hate having to run all over the house 2 days prior to brew day to locate everything (the rig would also act as a stowage vehicle) 4) I will eventualy get a brew rig but as for now my system is in a state of flux (i've been taking all the $$ I've saved on buying store bought and buying something new for my system before every brew day) so I'll just use my two saw horses until i'm satisfied with every thing.

robert rulmyr (63.156.128.70)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 3 'turkey' fryers for my 3 converted kegs and a good pump. Very portable.

Tom Gardner (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yah, I do what Bob does. Stacks neatly behind the door to the garage. No muss, no fuss.

Joe Rovito (68.81.236.26)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ELK - Ralph makes some excellent points. I specifically designed my two tier so the 3 kettles store upside down on the bottom level. It is precisely as big as it needs to be, no bigger. So it doesn't take much more space than the three kegs alone.

Being on wheels, I can (with the help of a ramp) wheel it into the mini-van for offsite brewing. And because it is a 'rig' and not an assemblage of pieces, I can mount a pump, mount the burners - hard piped if I want, add a GFI, etc,etc.

I do wish it were lighter, and I may try one out of Aluminum some day - which should be fine if I can keep the Al away from direct flame.

There is a site somewhere on the internet that shows ~ 100 different rigs. Look at these for inspiration - esp. wrt kettle heights and order and 1 tier vs. two vs. three ...

Ken Anderson (24.55.255.75)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah. Rigs out the wazoo.
http://www.barleys.nl/index.htm?thuisbrouwerijen

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive looked at all these other rigs...I guess if the kegs fit under then it wouldnt take up any extra space really... I'm wishy washy at this stage..Maybe just the 2 stand alone burners will work for now...

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you do AG with just one burner? You really only need to keep your HLT hot right? After sparging remove your HLT and replace with your boil pot.One burner, two pots and a cooler take up less room than even a "TrewBree" I belive. (I'm not very sneaky with these trade marked names am I?) Unless you are Walt and brew a couple hundred thousand gallons at a time (only 100,000 for his Simichlause tho....a man can only import so much grain before the government gets nosey :) ) what I have discribed above is a "bare bones" set-up right? This is what I plan on doing and if it is a bad idea would somebody please let me know...and by bad idea I mean technically not safe or sound. I have the system pictured in my head and if it would help I could discribe it if need be.

Ralph Diamond (142.177.144.223)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 turkey frier is all I use. when I start to sparge I slide the flame under the boil kettle. They arn't all that expensive so when I finalize my rig I'll probably buy another and hard plumb it in (or not). The system you have planned may verywell be a better mousetrap (at least it will work for you). There are a lot of other systems being used and each one works for the designer. you will get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from a system you consieved. (there will be design flaws... never the less) good luck.

Bob McCouch (68.32.206.76)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy,
1 burner may allow slightly less flexibility, but it can certainly work.

My first 10 gal non-kitchen-stove AG setup was 1 turkey fryer, a 15-gallon aluminum pot, and 2 rectangular picnic coolers. Heat the mash water in the pot, transfer it to the mash tun and mash in. With a 60-min mash, you usually have just enough time to heat sparge water and move it to another cooler before you begin the sparge.

With a 10 gal system, a pump was pretty much a neccesity, but you could build a 5 gal system like this and just pick the pot up (with gloves!) to dump it.

Once you understand the basic principles of AG and the 3 or 4 high-level tasks that need to be executed to brew a batch, the design is very open-ended. If you look at a collection of rigs, like at Barley's, you'll see many similarities. That's because certain features make things easier, but not because it can't be done otherwise.

ELK,
I don't see why your design wouldn't work, but on the other hand I don't really see what you'd gain. For me, not being much of a fabricator, dealing with all those angles and stuff would be a recipe for failure. My rig is much bigger than it "needs" to be, but I still find plenty of ways to use the extra room. You can see it at http://www.mccouch.com.

Streb (68.166.204.18)
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a very space efficient cart that I use to brew with. I only use one burner and my Boil Kettle doubles as a HLT. Since I batch sparge and use a pump this makes the design possible.

I do have a third vessel that I use as a grant to collect the runnings from the MLT, but this is just a 13 gallon plastic bucket that I bought at PetSmart.

Here's a pic...
http://home.earthlink.net/~rob.strebler/images/mill3.jpg

Cheers,
Rob

Billy Wight (66.27.79.209)
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh Oh Rob... Don't start another keg-like debate here! "But it's OK because I baught the shopping cart from a kid pushing it down the street." :)

Streb (68.166.203.193)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Uh Oh Rob... Don't start another keg-like debate here! "But it's OK because I baught the shopping cart from a kid pushing it down the street."

Billy, huh??? I thought we were talking about space efficient designs. What are you talking about?

aleman (207.109.230.237)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, no offense but that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Boiling liquids suspended on anything that is questionable is not my idea of fun.

Consider a professionally made stand. I bought a stainless 3 tier stand from Larrys Brewing in Seattle and it was very reasonable.

second and third degree Burns do not heal well......

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now...

My only comment on this set up is..

DARWIN AWARDS!

C'ya!

-Scott

Joe Alf (65.141.58.211)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Face the facts ELK;your're hooked,and you're going
to be shopping for a pump shortly after you finish the stand.You definetly have the ingenuity of a great homebrewer.
Joe

Jeremy S (198.81.26.39)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strb- Is your HLT "Jeweled"?

Streb (68.166.204.157)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, The BK/HLT is just a 14 gallon stainless steel wine tank that supposedly has a "marble" exterior.

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I'm thinking about getting the pump, CFC, mill, and brew beer then work on the stand later.

Darwin awards???

John Shaw (208.24.179.29)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darwin awards are given to people who do stupid things that end up getting them killed - thereby supporting the natural selection theory. Check out www.darwinawards.com

I think Skotrat is refering to your stand - which I hope was for demonstration purposes and not exactly how you will set it up. Otherwise it's kind of flimsy to hold 10 gallons of boiling liquid and a propane burner.

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That picture was strickly a mock up to check for heights and to help you picture my stand Idea..You have to read the description to understand what I was really going to build..My stand would be much more sturdy than most of the ones I have seen pics of.

Billy Wight (66.27.79.209)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Uh Oh Rob... Don't start another keg-like debate here! "But it's OK because I baught the shopping cart from a kid pushing it down the street."

Billy, huh??? I thought we were talking about space efficient designs. What are you talking about?

Streb-

http://home.earthlink.net/~rob.strebler/images/mill3.jpg

I'm talking about your shopping cart brewstand.:)

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Streb-Man that HLT is pretty...it still looks like it has been jeweled.

Billy-That ain't a shopping cart...it looks like a small resturant style storage shelf on wheels. I've seen quite a few of those things (I was a cook for 8 years) and they are strong as hell.

Streb (68.166.203.108)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, I really liked the look of it too which somewhat influenced the purchase. It was $130.00 and came with two 1/2" NPT couplings welded onto it and a lid. However, it doesn't have any handles and is not as sturdy as a keg so it probably wouldn't be appropriate for anyone who has to move the kettle around a lot.

You are also right about the cart. I got it at Sam's club and it's very sturdy. With the added plywood, I have no worries about strength. There is also a third shelf that I'm not using.

Lol, Billy - a shopping cart! I guess for the extreme penny pincher that has some possibilities...

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem with using a shopping cart is that you can never get one that will brew straight...one wheel is always crooked.

Streb (68.166.205.83)
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're popular with the homeless brewers though.

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Homeless Handout Heffeweizen...you serve it in a chilled soup can! :)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.