Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * Fix mash tun with Aquarium Sealant < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mash tun leaks where I installed my Thermothingy, and I went to Home Depot to find some food grade Silicone sealant. They had no clue. So I browsed around and remembered that someone on this board had suggested aquarium sealant. Before I open it, is this the right thing to use? It reads "may be corrosive to metals prone to attack by weak acids" and mentions nothing about temperature. It will be in contact with brass fittings.

If this isn't the right thing to use, what is, and where can I find it?

Thanks again.

David Woods (67.242.69.188)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milan,
I can't tell you if it's the right thing, or even recommend using it. But it worked great on my mash tun that leaked when I installed a ball valve. Put gobs of aquarium silicone around the gasket area, with the gaskets too, and tightened it up. Has never leaked since!!!

Good luck,
David

John From NH (64.222.172.157)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like silicone...I got some firplace calking at the local hardware store and it's got both a temperature rating on the label AND it even says that it's food grade on it...Thought it was sort of a strange thing to put on fireplace calking...go figure...anyway I would not mind putting it in my mash tun, but I can't comment on the reaction with the metal.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IIRC, DAP 408 is a food grade silicone.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aquarium sealant is not specifically rated as food grade, but as a practical matter it can safely be used for brewing applications. Fish are a very good indicator of environmental health. In terms of chemical sensitivity, if it is safe for fish it is safe for humans (tolerance for bacteria is another matter but that isn't the issue here).

Jeremy S (198.81.26.39)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just used super glue to fix my leaky gasket on my primary...haven't had a leak since. Don't know how it would work on a MT tho.

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ITs not so easy ot find sealant when you need it..Like me today. Damm the wind and brew in the garage but as I was preheating the MT I noticed it leaking way to much...It appear that my original bulkhead rig had distorted the cooler over the summers time and now it leaks...I cancelled brewing again today and have been working on it..
Those darn cheap guys who think they can modify a cooler to work.

I see the goop aquarium stuff but it only goes up to 150 degrees... This will be inside my MT..
I am about to try a new rig without sealant.

David Gretzinger (163.206.45.223)
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elk, if you have a local ACE hdwr, get their 100% silicone sealant. It carries the food grade specification, 21-CFR 177, and good to 400 degrees. I've done several batches using this sealant on valve in my boil kettle with no problems.

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAP Silicone...100% Silicone Rubber Sealant... caulk gun size comes in a mostly dark blue tube...UPC#70798 08641 for the clear...Safe for food contact written on the label, followed by the regulation number mentioned above...found it at ACE hardware.

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think most of the 100% silicon would be ok at hot MT temps but these thing rarely say that then the ones that say 400 say not for contact with food products or something.
Around here the Ace places are being run out by HD and Lowes.

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The technical data bulletins and MSDS info. for DAP products is on their website. The tech bulletin says -40F to 400F for the one I mentioned. This info. isn't written on the tube itself.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.