Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * Sluggish fermentation < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Steve Pierson (207.69.139.136)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brewed a Cooper's Sparkling Ale clone on 11/23. Rehydrated and pitched two 7 gram packets of Cooper's dry yeast. Fermentation was normal - OG 1.047 - 1.014 when racking to secondary on 11/29 - finished at 1.011 and bottled today 12/6.

Brewed an IPA 11/29. Pitched it on the yeast cake - fermentation was very vigorous for about 24 hours - then slowed to a stop. OG was 1.066 - checked today - SG was 1.026. This beer should finish around 1.018 to 1.015. I did not expect this problem when pitching on a large quantity of yeast.

I have two more packets of Cooper's yeast. Should I add one or both of them? Or just rack to secondary and pray to the god of fermentation?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Fredrik (213.114.44.229)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you aerate the yeast or wort before resuing?

Another idea,
If you got such a quickstart as from 1.055 to 1.26 in 24 hours, I think a relative slowdown may be normal. I think the last points are intrinsically slower, I currently think that if you force a fermentation, the easy thing is to force the main part, but the finish is harder to force. It may create an illusion of a stop due to the quick start.

Before doing anything I think you should check if it really has stopped or just slowed, if so how slow?

/Fredrik

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Higher gravity beers benefit greatly from increased pitching rates and wort aeration. Next time pitch more yeast and aerate the chilled wort well.

Adding a couple of packets of yeast at this point is unlikely to have much effect. It takes *a lot* of yeast to restart a stuck fermentation. You would need to pitch a quart of brewpub/microbrewery yeast slurry or rack the beer onto the primary yeast cake of another batch.

Don't rack the beer to secondary yet. By removing a portion of the yeast you are making it even more difficult for the yeast that remains. Try "rousing" (gently but thoroughly stirring) the yeast sediment back into suspension. Do this every 2-3 days for a week and hope for the best.

Steve Pierson (63.187.169.137)
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, guys. I aerated the wort in my usual manner - using a siphon sprayer on the end of the hose and then rocking the carboy. Not the best method, I know. Next up on the wish list - an aeration system.

Steve Pierson (206.207.78.210)
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Bill, for the advice about rousing the yeast. Steady bubbliing through the airlock since 12/7. I will check the SG tonight and rack when the fermentation is complete.

Steve Pierson (63.187.160.146)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

12/11 - SG at 1.015. Thanks again, Bill. Your advice was spot on. Will rack to the secondary on Saturday 12/13.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.