Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * DOGFISH HEAD!! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Water issuepc12-11-03  04:52 am
  Start New Thread        

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just like saying that..
Just picked up my first bottle of 120 minute IPA...
Cant wait to try it tomorrow night!
21% ABV
Ohh yea.... :)

Walt

Mark Zgarrick (68.73.92.28)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, that's a good one (although I prefer the 60 and 90 minute IPAs as session brews).

For another radical beer experience, see if you can pick up their World Wide Stout. We had it on tap up here in Chicago - wow! 23% abv (if memory serves right). Not exactly "beer-like" but it definitely impresses me that they brew this kind of stuff.

MZ

Ken Anderson (24.55.255.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Walt. I was just at:
http://www.barleys.nl/index.htm?thuisbrouwerijen
What's that wimpy looking rig you have there at #110?
Ken

Ken Anderson (24.55.255.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By God, the guy at #94 is wearing wooden shoes! They actually wear those things?

Fredrik (213.114.44.229)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt, what kind of yeast and fermentation procedure did you have to get 21%? :) That must be some record, are you uing some wine or champagne yeast?

How long did it take to get to 21%?

/Fredrik

Stephen Shaughnessy (64.80.13.181)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personnaly I realy enjoyed their India Brown Ale 7.2 50IBU, if anyone has something that comes close I would appreciate it. I must say after trying somne of the beers mentioned under Bill P's post about micro brews, I love beer. Although right now I am enjoyying aome wine, grad school sucks.
Stephen S

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question Fredrik...
While my brewing system is pretty big, its not actually the Dogfish Head brewery..;>

Its made by these guys Fredrik, www.dogfish.com

Walt

Bob McCouch (68.32.206.76)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt, I think your system is MUCH bigger than what Dogfish Head started with way back!

I got some of their 120 IPA once, and I wish I'd sat on it for a few years. A buddy and I made the aweful mistake of starting the evening with a couple other high alcohol brews (Old Rasputin, etc) and then we opened the 120 IPA, and poured ourselves each a pint! Bad move... the stuff was like syrup. Very much a sipping beer...

I think it's awesome that those guys do stuff like that, though. They've also been instrumental at lobbying the DE state gov't to update their brewing laws. If I ever really get in a position to open a micro, I think I'll be heading south of the border from PA into DE to do it.

Fredrik (62.20.8.148)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah I didn't realize. I thought "dogfish" was your name on the brew :)

21% is amazing. If you wake up tomorrow, don't forget to post the judgement. Wear protective glasses. Alcohol dries your skin :)

/Fredrik

David Woods (198.133.214.12)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fredrick,
They use yeast in steps I believe. First a high attenuating ale strain. Then something like champagne yeast, which only goes to 18%. Then up to distillers yeast, which can reach up to 25% if conditions are right.
I met the brewer at Andy's Corner in Bagota, NJ one night. Great guy, he just wouldn't let up on any of his sectrets. But he did try to help out on some guys homebrew questions.

David

Beerboy (81.136.185.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried Raison Detre at the weekend. It found it's way into safeways supermarket here in England. A very, very nice brew, one of the best I've tasted recently. I bought a bottle of World wide stout as well but am a bit scared to drink it. A 12oz bottle is like drinking a bottle of wine. I know it's going to be a sipping beer but can I make it last all night?

Maybe I just need to find someone to share it with 8(

I'm tempted to buy a few bottles and ferret them away for a year or two. I wish you could get other beers of theirs here as I've looked at there website and they all look awesome. Especially the IPA's, kind of makes you want to try and make something that ridiculously strong yourself.

Just as an aside, what is the strongest beers any of you lot have made? Mine was a measely 12% ABV

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beerboy,
1 bottle of World Wide Stout has 666 calories!!!

That's a lot for only 12oz. That's 55.5 calories per oz.!!! Holy OG's Beerman!

David

Ed Jones (156.153.255.126)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you haven't tried their Chickory Stout, I highly recommend you do so soon. It's one of my top 10 favorite commercial brews.

Ed

Beerboy (81.136.185.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's 1/4 of all your daily calories. Just drink 4 and don't eat anything and you'll be fine for the day.

Jim Keaveney (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark: 90 min ipa as a session brew!? at about 9%abv, that is a hell of a session!

This years wws is 21%, last year was just over 23%. I am happy to say that i have a half case of each squirreled away. (one big bottle of the 120 as well)

on new years eve they are having a beer dinner which includes the 120, midas touch and wws (dont know which vintage). then after dinner, live music and you are on your own to drink their many outstanding beers. my head hurts already. my hotel is 3 blocks away, hope i make it!

and yes, walt, your system is 5 times the size of the 10 gallon system dfh started with.

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read that this years WWS is 18%.
Thats kinda a bummer.. not that 18 isnt kicking, but i just wanted to try a 23% bottle...;>
BTW.. my highest beer is actually in a keg conditioning.... its at 13.4% ABV :)

Walt

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

walt, not so. this year is 21%, last year was 23% and the year before was 18%

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

btw, the 18% version was the only one that was actually the worlds stongest beer. it was then surpassed by sam adams. the 23%er was an attempt to regain the title but fell short to sam adams millenium at 24%. i think dfh has given up on the pissing contest with jim koch who is now up to 25%

Miker (63.247.195.40)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt,

Hope you didn't have to pay the $9.99/bottle (12 oz) they were asking over at Powers Liquor Mart. I had one in my hand but just couldn't justify it and traded it for a sixer of India Brown for just over that one bottle price.

Gave the India Brown to a friend for his birthday, so haven't had a chance to try it yet. Did get to try the 60 and 90 minute Ipa's and they were great!

Mike

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried their Raison D'Extra 20.5% ABV brew this past weekend and was blown away by the sweet, malty, raisiny flavors and lack of noticeable alcohol. You'd never guess it was 20.5% unless someone told you. I don't like higher alcohols and this one really made me wonder if it was 20.5% because it was just soooo smooooooth. This was an unbelievable beer. One of the best I've had.

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Raison D'Etre
Voted 'American Beer Of The Year' in January 2000 by Malt Advocate Magazine. A deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast. As complex as a fine red wine.
8% ABV 36 IBU
available year round, bottles & draft"

It said on the website the Raison D' Etre was only 8% ABV.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guy, according to the brewery (http://www.dogfish.com/beer/index.cfm), Raison D'Etre is 8.0 percent alcohol by volume.

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you are correct bill. however, the raison d' EXTRA is a huge beer. i have not seen it anywhere lately and wonder how guy got his hands on some? i thought it was a single batch but could be wrong on that one.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>pay the $9.99/bottle (12 oz)

Ouch! Scraping eye gouge! Makes the Preparation H I am using after paying $5 a 12 oz. bottle for Samichlaus seem a bit more palatable.

My beer monger here in Montana just started to get these fine East Coast beers in stock. A few weeks ago he had the Chickory stout in, last Friday I picked up some Victory Golden Monkey. I'll have to bug him about these other Dogfish beers.

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i paid $130 for a case which is about $5.40 per bottle. find some friends and chip in on a case.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for pointing this out, Jim. Excuse me; I wasn't even aware of Raison D'Extra. Leave it to those wacky folks at Dogfish Head to come up with that one. I assume it's available only very near to the brewery. The only Dogfish Head beer I've seen recently in Ontario was Raison D'Etre, which the provincial liquor stores had as a seasonal last summer. Several of the others are routinely available across the border in western New York, however.

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A kind soul was good enough to share a cellared bottle with myself and others at the Pizza Port Strong Ale festival. Some people have been known to trade with one another for beers they can't obtain locally.

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

woops, sorry walt. looks like you were right. i had heard from several sources who were at the local premiere events for the wws that it was 21% this year. but it is listed on the site at 18.8% and i think they would know! i just had some a week and a half ago but i really wouldnt know the difference between 19 and 21.

MJR (24.217.160.206)
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This year's domestic WWS stout is 18.8%. The one being sent over to England is 21%. Glad I could clear that up! :<)

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welp I just cracked open the 120 and i must say.. not exactly what i suspected...
Its deff a Big Beer..
But its sweet.... not a stronge alch taste...and not overpowering on the hops...
I would say this is a beer that would deff benefit from a couple years of aging...

Thinking about it.... it almost makes sence that its sweet...
Cause lets face it.. with 2 tons of sugar.. it would take 4 tons of hops to off set that.. heh

So its a sweet, almost samichlaus/dopplebockish tasting beer....

While not what i would expect, certainly good, and in a league of its own..

I will try another someday, and see how it taste again.. meanwhile.. im off to find the World Wide Stout
:)

Walt
Lama Brewery
----

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.