Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * Three Floyds Alpha King < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anyone has a recipe or any other information (besides what's on their website) that they like for a beer that approximates 3F Alpha King, I'm interested. I think there's a recipe in the BYO Summer 2001, Vol.7, No.6, but I don't have that issue. If anyone has it, please let me know. With ten malts and two yeasts, I'm not sure where to begin.

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now,

Why not email nick floyd and ask him. He will most likely give you the recipe that was originally used.

c'ya!

-Scott

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He, or someone from 3F, answered back on another forum to look at the BYO issue I don't have. No one responded when I emailed about Dreadnaught. If I get a response at all from a brewer, it's usually very general and lacking important info. so I thought I'd ask here.

Pacman (68.51.78.225)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember seeing that in another forum also but I don't remember which one. I know of a brewer around here that tried to get info out of them about Alpha King and was given the same basic generic bullshit that's usually given by probrewers. They seem to be pretty tight lipped about what is in Alpha King.

There was an Alpha King Clone contest in Indy about 3 years ago. The homebrewer that won aparently came pretty close because the brewers were really impressed. I have the recipe around here somewhere but it's on a piece of paper and I don't know where I put it. I will look around and post it if I find it.

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Pacman.

I found an HBD post where someone said Nick responded to his email about AK and gave him the following:

Dingmans Caramunich
Simpsons medium crystal
66 IBU's
Columbus, Warrior, Centennial
Wyeast American or London

More than a few items are missing.

Jerry Hays (66.170.162.253)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess i'm pretty lucky. I work only 3 buildings down from 3F's brewery and I make regular stops at the brewery. Nick and the guys have that BYO article hanging up on the wall outside their tasting room. I'm headed there today after work for a little bit and I will copy the ingrediants down. If I rememeber correctly the recipe called for the columbus, chinook, cascade and centennial for hops but has since changed. Either way I will get you the stuff from that article.

mark anthony (64.152.154.129)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.I finally get to contribute.Heres the recipe form the summer 2001 BYO..Let me know how it turns out.Im considering making this also.Mark

5 gallon recipe

4lbs american 2 row
5.5 belgain 2 row
2 oz caramunich dark
1.5 oz caramunich
1.5 oz dewolf-cosyns special B
1.5 oz carapils
1.5 oz caramel malt 60L
1.5 oz melanoidin malt
.5 oz red wheat

7 AAUs magnum .5 oz of 13.5% AA(bittering)
7 AAUs colombus .58 oz of 12% AA(bittering)
11 AAUs cascade 2 oz of 5.5% AA(knock out)
Dry hops 1 oz each of centenial,colombus,cascade

mash at 154 for 45 min..use wyeast 1056.62-66 IBUs

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That recipe seems reasonable to me. Alpha King is a rather complex beer, hardly one-dimensional although it certainly is bitter. I'm not at all surprised by the variety of malts.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have something that is very similar. I don't remember where I got it and I never made it, so take it for what it is worth.

Grain bill was the same except this recipe had one more pound of Belgian Pale (probably to make up for efficiency)

Centennial 13.0% 75 Boil 0.5 Oz
Perle 12.0% 75 Boil 0.5 Oz
Fuggles 5.5% 0 Boil 2.0 Oz

Dry hop schedule was the same as is the Mash schedule.

The OG was 1.060

PTA

Pacman (68.51.78.225)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I found it, I think. I thought I had it handwritten on a piece of paper but I found a ProMash text printout of a recipe called Alpha King Winner. I must have put it in ProMash at some point in time but for some reason I didn't save the rec file. Anyway, here is what I have:

5.0 lbs Pils
4.5 lbs Pale
0.5 lbs Special B
0.5 lbs Aromatic
0.5 lbs Honey malt

0.75 oz Columbus pellets (13.5%) 60 min
0.75 oz Chinook pellets(11.0%) 30 min
0.75 oz Centennial pellets(10.0%) 30 min
1.25 oz Cascade pellets(5.8%) 15 min
0.50 oz Chinook pellets(11.0%) 5 min
0.50 oz Centennial pellets(10.0%) 5 min

OG = 1.060 IBU = close to 100
Yeast = White Labs San Francisco Lager & Burton Ale

I think part of the trick to cloning this beer is the two yeasts. It even says on their website: "...mixture of 10 malts and two yeast varieties."

I have never tried this recipe myself but from what I was told about the competition the brewers really liked this one.

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now,

I know that when this beer was first being brewed that the OG was closer to 1.082 (maybe 1.085) than what is brewed today. Nick once told me that they made it more publically acceptable because he was getting calls from guys saying that his beer made their girlfriends cry...

The original recipe was also far more dry hopped than what is out there now. So much so that it poured green complete with seeds and hop pieces.

I still love this beer...

All IPAs should be this darn good.

C'ya!

-Scott

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>"I still love this beer...

All IPAs should be this darn good. ""

my sentiments exactly !!!!!!!!

Guy C (67.169.98.103)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the replies. I should be able to put together a tasty brew, AK or not. The early AK Scott describes sounds a bit like their Dreadnaught. I've heard 3F heavily dry-hops, like the equivalent of 6 oz. in 5-gal. for Dreadnaught.

If I was going to use two different yeasts, is the common approach to split the batch in half, ferment each separately, then combine them?

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now,

Skotrats yeast blending method:

Start two separate with your two yeast starters...

At the time of stepping up while both yeasts are in full high krausen mix both into a larger starter vessel and step up...

That is how I do it...

C'ya!

-Scott

Josh S (198.208.159.14)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Jerry (or anyone else),
I was planning on going to 3F's tommorrow with a buddy. Their voicemail says they have tours until 5 pm. Do you need an appointment or can I just show up around 4?

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering what happens when you mix a lager and an ale yeast? Will one ferment while the other one sits and autoliyses(sp?)?

Pacman (68.51.78.225)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3Floyds Tour

It says to call ahead to schedule a tour.

Just guessing but I would think that they let it ferment at a temperature in the ale range for a bit and then gradually lower the temp to slow down or knock out the ale yeast while letting the lager yeast finish the ferment. That way they get some of the flavor from the ale yeast and stop it when they think they have the flavor profile they want.

Jack Corrozi (192.195.217.10)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lagers will ferment at ale temps(like the San Fran stuff is designed to do). Personally, I would pitch the yeast and ferment as normal at ale temps.

Pacman (68.51.78.225)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote:

Lagers will ferment at ale temps(like the San Fran stuff is designed to do).

I understand that the san fran is fermenting at the same time changing the flavor profile because it is pretty neutral even at warmer temps. If you ferment warm you will get some of the fruity esters from the ale yeast and not much from the san fran. Start bringing the temp down and the ale yeast slows down and goes to sleep while the san fran keeps going. This way you can kind of control how much of the ale flavors you get in the finished beer.

Either way you are going to get a different flavor profile than you would if just pitching the ale yeast alone.

Neither way is going to produce a very repeatable beer though. The only way to do that is to ferment each yeast seperately and blend the finished beers.

Ted Enright (68.74.151.217)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in 2001, I asked BYO for the clone recipe. Then I emailed 3 Floyds and ran into a guy that worked for them. I never recieved a response from 3 Floyds, but the guy that worked for them said the hops were the 4 "C's", Chinook, Centenial, Columbus, and Cascade. That's the only info I got out of anyone!!
Skotrat's method of mixing strains is how I do it also!!
I think Pacman's recipe looks pretty good, and is the one I'd go with!! Cheers

Scott Kuester (68.73.144.249)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I talked to Nick at a tasting event here in Indy and he also mentioned the 4 "C's" for Alpha King.

Jerry Hays (66.170.162.253)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Normal tour hours are Thursday and Fridays 4pm-7pm and Saturday Noon to 4pm. In anycase just show up. Most of the time either John or Nick can will give ya a tour. Depending on what is going on some "tours" might be more abbreviated than others. Most people that go there have been "touring" every thurs, friday or saturday religously dozens of times. Right now the "tour" is still $5.00 and you get to try 3 bottle caps for samples of what they have on draft. Some exceptions to this are Dark Lord, Old Dread and maybe a couple others that will cost you 2 caps for a sample. But their normal line up of: AK, RtB (Robert the Bruce), PnJ and Gumball Head are one cap beers. Nick has just put on an English style bitter just this last thursday. It uses traditional english hops and has some oats and maybe another adjunct thrown in. Very out of the ordinary for 3F's motif but a very drinkable beer.

I hope all of this rambling helps!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.