Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * Brewing Salts - quick guide < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the last couple of weeks there have been a few postings for help about brewing salts and how to adjust pH. My questions among them. I've been reading carefully all the resources and answers given, and I put together a graphic that will definitely help me in the future.

Adjusting pH

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice job, I can use this as I can't even remember my name in the middle of brewing. How about adding the approximate amounts to add of each to raise/lower .1 points?

Paul Edwards (68.79.169.217)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice graphic, Milan.

Mike, w/o knowing your water's mineral content, it'd be very hard if not impossible to know how much of the various salts to add to change pH .1 point. What works in my brewery with my water may not be appropriate for you.

Also, the grain bill can affect pH - dark grains are acidic.

So the best bet is to use decent pH strips like the colorpHast brand, or a good pH meter, and keep notes of the effects you see in your particluar situation

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shows how much I know about water chemistry... nothing!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.