Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 31,2003 * St. Carolus Honey Imperial Porter: Update < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kevin Davidson (209.112.140.225)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed yesterday and pitched onto a yeast cake from a previous batch like the recipe recommended. I was warned that this beer needed lots of space so I used a 61/2 gal carboy. I started with slightly less than five gallons. Within an hour and a half there was fairly vigorous activity. To be safe, I used a one gallon cider jug and blow off tube. This is the first ultra high gravity beer that I have brewed and I guess that despite the warnings I still wasn’t prepared for what I found this morning. The gallon cider jug was full and another half gallon was all over the floor, under all my brewing equipment , boxes stored in the corner, cherry lumber that I was saving for a project, chest freezer kegerator you get the picture! It was a mess! I spent the first two hours this morning cleaning everything up. The worst part of the whole thing is that there is only 31/2 gallons in the carboy and it is still blowing out more.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AB1605000/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=255208&St=6446&St2=86224115&St3=-36839000&DS_ID=2&Product_ID=1106&DID=7

Kevin Davidson (209.112.140.122)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks i'll give it a try

Chris Colby (66.25.196.39)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Chumley,
Have you ever tried Fermcap? I'm curious, but I worry about it affecting the flavor of my beer. (I know they say it doesn't.)

Chris Colby
Bastrop, TX

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many commercial breweries use Fermcap. It is also rated as being food safe. I have never noticed any effect whatsoever on flavor. It breaks down as the wort is fermented, and neither does it affect the heading of the beer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.