Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Plasma cutting sanke < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
How do you know if a keg is stainless or aluminum?Bill Pierce12-18-03  10:56 pm
  Start New Thread        

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A club member had his sanke's plasma cut at a local fab shop. He said the cut came out VERY rough, and that he wore down a AL OX disk to a nub to clean it up. Does this sound right? Shouldn't a plasma cut be smoother than that?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 01:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't need to do anything more than go over the cut with a stainless wire brush followed by some emery cloth. I'd say the shop did a poor job with your friend's kegs.

craig white (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a plasma cutter can cut som smooth when you clean the smoke off it will look like it was made that way. but you have to know how to use it and set the amps right for the thickness of the metal. if the travel speed is to slow it will leave alot of slag on the backside of the cut. if its to fast it wont cut all the way through and will have to be recut making a rough, uneven cut.

Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, sounds like they put a rookie on it. I'm prepping about a dozen kegs for fellow club members. I'll talk to them and discuss making a jig for the cutout.

Bill, I remember seeing pics or a link to a "compass" made of stiff wire that one of the posters here used. sound familiar?

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plasma Cutting Fixture from some other HBD member??

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I cant seem to figure out how to post a pic on this darn board and its to slow and cumbersome to try much.. I sent the pic to Fletch.

Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks ELK!

Kent

Bill Aimonetti (143.183.121.1)
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just plasma cut 6 kegs last week using a peice of wire in a loop around the valve stem out to the tip if the electrode as a guide. This worked really well for making a nice round cut. The best tip I got (from this board) was to fill the keg with water before cutting. It makes cleanup a snap with no scrubbing required. The cuts were very smooth and took about 1 min. with an angle grinder to make perfect.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.