Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Oxiclean Classic available again! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I called the co. that makes Oxiclean last week to see if there was any chance they still had the unscented stuff (w/o the "blue crystals") anymore, and was told that it looked like they might start selling it again due to customer demand for unscented stuff. I got a call from them yesterday morning letting me know it was available now. You can order it from their website at www.greatcleaners.com. And while you're there,
drop them a line letting them know that you'd like them to put it back into general distribution!

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ITs all around here without any blue crystals..I just opened my new tub to be sure.

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're lucky!

Mike A. (128.173.139.227)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any way to know if it has blue crystals or not before you buy it? I've never used it but was thinking about looking around for some. Will it say 'Original' or 'Unscented'?

Mike A.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a bigg bucket last night,,,I was wondering what was up with the blue crystals, and new smell

I used it anyway, I just double rinsed

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The new stuff says Blue crystals on it.

Steve Pierson (206.207.78.210)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny - Please excuse my ignorance, but how does Oxiclean compare to OneStep for cleaning brew equipment? I have been impressed with OneStep for cleaning carboys - only downside is the price - I paid around $30 for 5 lbs. at the LHBS.
Thanks for the info.

Bob B (24.65.49.219)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike and Steve,

As Denny noted, there is a small label "with Blue Crystals" in the lower right and a label in the upper left "Now! Better on more stains". At least in Canada, the label now lists the primary active ingredients.

Oxiclean, One-step and Powdered Brewery Wash all have sodium carbonate as the primary ingredient with various other materials to improve effectiveness.

I have found with the new Oxiclean that the bottles are much slipperier to handle while washing and seem to be harder to rinse. I tend to see more residual for the same rate of cleaner of the old formulation.

You would think Orange Glo International would remember what happened with Coca-cola when they change the formulation. I guess we will start having to ask for "Oxiclean Classic" instead of "New Oxiclean". :-)

Dave Aronoff (141.214.71.70)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK: I am a moron. I bought some Oxyclean to try it out in place of PBW and I got the stuff with blue crystals. I spent $8 on the bucket of it. What should I do with it? Will it be a bad idea to clean my carboys and fermenter with it?

Thanks,

Dave

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll probably have to rinse more than you would with the unscented stuff, but other than that, I don't think it's a problem.

John Schmidt (65.238.10.81)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Oxiclean, One-step and Powdered Brewery Wash all have sodium carbonate as the primary ingredient with various other materials to improve effectiveness."

I believe you mean sodium percarbonate. Sodium carbonate alone wouldn't be very effective because it's a lot like chalk. As I understand it, percarbonates form hydrogen peroxide in solution, which is responsible for the sanitizing action of these cleaners.

BTW, some powdered diswashing detergents (for machines) contain sodium perborate. I wonder if this could be used instead of Oxiclean. Probably wouldn't be a good idea because they also contain surfactants.

Bob B (24.65.49.219)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

Both my container of Oxiclean (blue crystal) and a packet of PBW list sodium carbonate as the ingredient. I can't find my link to the makers of One-step to verify if it's sodium carbonate or sodium percarbonate (sodium carbonate+hydrogen peroxide).

The surfactants in dishwashing detergent can be problematic. I started having problems keeping a good head of foam when I poured a beer until I changed to a different brand.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, there's nothing wrong with surfactants in a cleaner. Actually, automatic dishwasher detergent is very effective for brewery cleaning, equivalent to Oxiclean if not quite as strong as PBW. The advantage is its low price, especially in quantity at warehouse clubs such as Sam's and Costco.

Bob, the active ingredient in One Step is sodium percarbonate. It is advertised as a combination cleaner/sanitizer. This is somewhat true, as hydrogen peroxide is toxic to microorganisms, but it is less effective than cleaning followed by a dedicated sanitizer. I would use One Step as a single-step product for lightly soiled items.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used the oxiclean with the little magic blue crystals with no problems. Just make sure you don't use more than 1 scoop per 5 gallons.

And to prolong this debate, oxiclean is a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate...

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't PBW made from something like silicone percarbonate? I figured that is why you need an iron grip to hold your bottles after a good soak with PBW. Meaning the silicone parcipitate is slick wet ice.

-Doug

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're close, Doug. The active ingredients in PBW are sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate. The latter increases the slipperiness and improves the ability to loosen and remove organic solids.

Rich Bartsch (63.72.182.34)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone gotten any guarantee from the manufacturer that oxiclean is safe to use for this application, either with or without the blue crystals?

Just because it's safe for cleaning showers and washing jeans doesn't mean it's food service rated.

Anyone with official confirmation?

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rich, it effectively breaks down into H2O, O2, and soda ash, so it's safe to use for the cleaning of food service items, but one shouldn't eat it out of the package.

There are no guarantees in life...

For example, I just lost in the fantasy football semifinals, because the eagle wide receiver threw a touchdown pass the the eagle running back. Sorry, I digress...

Jim O'Conner (64.28.50.49)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What advantage does Oxiclean have over bleach for cleaning carboys? Are you guys using the Oxiclean on both glass and stainless steel? I just started using Barkeeper's Friend for the stainless steel jobs.

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Oxiclean for both glass and stainless (and plastic). I don't care for the difficulty of using bleach, I don't like the aroma of it, and I don't want it in my septic system. I also think Oxiclean is more effective.

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bleach is an effective sanitizer but requires extensive rinsing. It does not have the cleaning power of dedicated cleaners.

John Schmidt (65.238.10.79)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got back from Wally-World where I saw several oxygen bleach cleaners. I got some Sun Oxygen Wash because it was a lot cheaper than Oxiclean, and it listed sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate on the label. It has no blue crystals, and apparently no perfumes or dyes. Just thought I'd mention it before everyone orders a lifetime supply of Oxiclean Classic. I can't speak for it's cleaning power or how it compares to Oxiclean, though.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This reminds me of another pet peeve of mine, where you buy things that are a blend, and they don't tell you how much of each. For oxiclean, it's 50-70% percarbonate, and 50-30% carbonate. Guess the machine that dumps them in isn't too accurate (the higher the percarbonate the stronger the mix).

Now, the one I want to know is, in engine oil synthetic blends, what's the percentage of synthetic?! C'mon motorheads, I know yer out there....

Mike Huss (24.123.94.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead, personally I don't know and don't care what the mix is because I only use pure synthetic! :)

Chris Clements (199.164.150.20)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So how do you guys use Oxiclean? Contact time? Do I need to rinse? Use with StarSan

I currently use Bleach followed by StarSan for carboys and C-brite for all of the other stuff. I have not had any problems at all but am open to better/less expensive methods.

Chris

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put 1-2 scoops of Oxiclean into a carboy or corny with warm (for carboys) or hot (for cornies) water and let it sit a few hours. Rinse well, sanitize with your choice of sanitizer and you're good.

Jim Keaveney (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris: you are using 2 different sanitizers for your carboys rather than a cleanser, then sanitizer. sometimes i dont use a cleanser on carboys if i have kept it clean from the previous batch. i always use a sanitizer tho.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't use more than 1 scoop per 5 gallons or it can start to cake on the sides. The solution is active for ~6 hours...

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>So how do you guys use Oxiclean?
1 scoop per 5 gallons.

> Contact time?
Anywhere between 1 hour and 3-4 weeks. If the later, repeat first part of the previous sentence.

PTA

Vince Turley (192.31.106.36)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris C.-
My understanding from previous discussions on this board is that bleach will pit SS (i.e. the inside of a corny) - especially in high concentrations and/or long contact times. I use bleach regularly, but limit it to glass and plastic.

And I always rinse everything with StarSan.

Jim Keaveney (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vince: why are you rinsing with starsan after using bleach? bleach is a sanitizer.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably because of the paranoia that rinsing the bleached item with water then needs to be resanitized with a non-bleach sanitizer.

The madness.

Vince Turley (192.31.106.36)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim K.-
I figure that, technically, my rinse water is not "sanitized", and by rinsing with water I am potentially introducing some form of bacteria. Besides, I figure bleach in beer is bad; tap water in beer MIGHT be bad; StarSan in beer, no problem!

Finally, I get my cleaning and rinsing water from an outside tap by my garage which is delivered via a garden hose... no tellin' what grows in that thing!

Yeah, I'm also the guy who hoses down his garage floor the day before I brew to reduce dust...

Shields up.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wipe down the surfaces in my brewery with sanitizer before brewing, so I'm in the anal category, but I'm not paranoid about tap water (other than for yeast propagation). If the water is safe for drinking it's safe for brewing (and for rinsing of sanitizers such as bleach that are not considered no-rinse). The chlorine added to most tap water is more than sufficient to keep it sanitary (notice I didn't say sterile). Sterilization is only needed for the operating room.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I brew in a garage with spider webs everywhere, use unchlorinated well water from a garden hose, and have even used it to top off a batch in the fermenter. No problems whatsoever...I am anally non-anal.

Adam W (128.125.6.113)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anally non-anal?!

Wouldn't that be oral?

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russian judge : 8.5

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

French judge: 1.7

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fischer Judge: 1.114

Jim Keaveney (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vince, if you are going to sanitize with starsan anyway, might as well skip the bleach.

Vince Turley (192.31.106.34)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: my standard "regime" is to soak my buckets (primary) immediately after cleaning with a bleach solution (1/4 cup bleach in 5 gal.)for 1-2 days, then rinse and store. When I am ready to use, I simply rinse with a gal. of StarSan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.