Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * HLT keg sight glass selection?? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive been looking around at buying a sight glass. But some sound a little to fragile for me. You would almost have to have a spare glass on hand in case..
What are my choices? I want it to look pretty at least not to homemade..I do remember seeing some with a homemade copper shroud?
Thanks
ELK

Malbec (208.33.225.90)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out your local plumbing/heating contractor. They may have a sight glass that is made for steam boilers, it can withstand the high temps. I picked one up at my local supplier and had them cut it to 13" in length and with the appropriate fittings to plumb into your ½" couplers..if you have couplers welded on..it worked out great. Naturally the couplers are welded on just inside the weld lines on the keg, so by the time the water starts to show on the sight tube it is about three gallons in the keg. Then I just started marking the gallon lines with a sharpie, went from just under 3 to 12½ before it disappears off the top of the tube. Very effective for my system anyway. Just an idea for you to kick around.

Rob F (69.140.125.226)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got Zymie's Thermothingy and the sight glass appears to be part of a racking cane. I cut it, so I know it's plastic. I've used it several times and it's still like new. Based on that, I'd say borosilicate glass with copper shrouding is very cool, but overkill.

Chuck Denofrio (64.135.203.58)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used silcone tubing with a copper tubing hook at the top to hang over the edge of the kettle.With polished copper top and bottom I think it looks great and will last forever.

Marlon Lang (68.18.117.117)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, Here is one:
tube
Two bulkhead unions, two short lengths of tube, tygon tube for the "glass", and an o-ring to mark the level.

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, Here is one:
tube
Two bulkhead unions, two short lengths of tube, tygon tube for the "glass", and an o-ring to mark the level.

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, Here is one:
crop

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I #@#$$%#@ give up

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

heh.. yea.. ive had a hard time posting pics to the site for about a month now too...
Get some kinda file not same message, and ya cant back up n fix it....hence the broken YOUR IMAGE HERE cheese ball thing.. heh

Walt

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try posting the pic without any text and then edit the post with text...

Marlon Lang (68.18.116.209)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No way! I've sworn off posting pics. The description still stands and it is cheap. There was also a BYO article recently about a sight glass on a HLT.

Pete Briggs (68.34.55.151)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a piece of clear plastic tubing with the same ID as the OD of the sight glass. Slit it length wise and to length, and then slip it over the glass tube. Then you can calibrate and mark it with an indelable pen. This way you give the glass some protection and the marking wont rub off.

Bill Tobler (67.66.40.171)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I built a sight glass for my HLT and it came out pretty good. Not quite as nice as a commercial model, but good enough. I use a section of 1/2 SS tubing and fitted a section of 3/8 racking cane inside. I cut a window out using the dremal tool, and used a SS eye bolt with grommet to support the top. The bottom is attached using a compression fitting. I have a 1/4" coupling welded in to the HLT just for the sight glass. It works great and I'm very happy with it. Right now, I have a small piece of wood attached to the side going the full length of the sight glass with quart marks. The next step is to put a piece of paper behind the glass inside the SS tube with marks. I'll do that someday when I get enough energy.

Building and Brewing in Texas
Bill Tobler
My Brewery

Marlon Lang (68.18.120.203)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! I am envious! The pics are great. An alternative to a rule or mark is to slip a couple of o-rings over the bute. This makes an adjustable marking system.

Mike Pensinger (68.10.199.240)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have built (and am working the bugs out of the manufacturing process for my store) sight tubes using polycarbonate plastic. Typically racking canes will not hold up to the heat generated by a boil pot. The polycarbonate is good to 250dF and has a very low absorption rate (yes plasic absorbs liquids). The construction is reasonably easy and the plans are on my personal web site ( http://www.pensinger.net ).

Mike Pensinger
mike@pensinger.net
http://www.homebrewusa.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.