Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Removing Bottle Labels < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mark Baumgartner (66.214.61.195)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this has been discussed before but after scouring the BBV archives I can't seem to find any discussion of it.

What were some of the best ways to remove bottle labels (e.g. those stubborn Sam Adams labels)?

Thanks in advance.

aleman (207.109.230.241)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will not beat the granulated soapy powdered stuff that Williams Brewing sells. It is way better than things like ammonia.

John From NH (64.223.183.54)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I have just a few of them to clean then I will just soak them in the sink with some warm watter for a few minutes and scrape the label off with a plaster knife...This works better on some brands than others due to the glue they use.

Keith O. (64.136.27.227)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I soak them in dishwasher powder and hot water in a cooler. Most labels fall off after a day or two. Then finish up with a scruby.

Marlon Lang (68.18.116.209)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parson's Ammonia (NAYY)

Bill Tobler (67.66.40.171)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ammonia and Electric dish washing powder. I soak overnight and most labels fall off. I throw Sam Adams bottles away. The labels don't come off.

I think after a Nuclear Attack, only Rats, Cockroaches and Sam Adams labels will survive.

Building and Brewing in Texas
Bill Tobler
My Brewery

Brewzz (66.82.160.1)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tsp in a large cooler...In the bathtub ifn you have alot.
Brewzz

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I soak bottles for 48 hours in a tub with laundry detergent and household ammonia. The Sam Adams labels require some scrubbing with a stiff brush but they come off with a little elbow grease. Most of the others peel or slip off easily.

Paul Hayslett (64.252.38.147)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warm PBW for 48hrs and all the labels just float off. Sam Adams bottles will continue to have glue residue on them for a couple of fill/wash cycles, but nothing too terrible.

It's the ones printed on metal foil that kill me -- especially anything from Brooklyn. Little bits of foil float around and get stuck to everything. A total b*tch to rinse off. Soak those separately.

Matt V (68.61.184.227)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use about 3/4 to 1 cup of TSP per 10 gallons of water or so(warm water seems to work better). I use a $5 rope-handled, 18 gallon tub from Wal-Mart. Soak for 20 - 30 min. The lables just fall off. The glue turns to slime and can be wiped off with a sponge. Sam Adams aren't a problem at all. Pilsner Urquell bottles, on the other hand, aren't worth the effort. The foil label has to be scraped off.
If you use TSP (Home Depot, Lowes, paint supply) wear rubber gloves (trust me) and rinse the bottles well. Don't leave the bottles in the solution for long periods of time because it WILL pit the glass.
Good Luck!

Tim W (56.0.84.111)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use B-Brite and very hot water and soak for about an hour . Most lables fall right off .

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oxyclean.

PTA

Malbec (205.242.56.60)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3 Tbl. TSP, 1 Tbl. bleach per gallon of water, soak 48 hours(if you're not in a hurry). Cleans all gunk out from inside and labels,including sam adams, fall right off. A good triple rinse and you're set. I never had any pitting problems.

brewjones (66.190.251.225)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3-4 scoops of oxyclean and hot water in my utility sink usually does the trick. Even Sam Adams lables peel right off but some wiping with a scrubber is required to remove the glue.

Brewjones

Mark Baumgartner (66.214.57.154)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, all.
I wound up giving them a 24-hr soak in Oxyclean (about 1-2 scoops/gallon) and that did the trick. Luckily we had a bucket of the stuff hiding under the sink.

Andrew Leach (64.48.158.94)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of glue...I was removing a label (new propane cylinder) and had some glue left on. I was looking for something to take it off with when I spotted the Orange GoJo (stuff for cleaning hands). A few squirts and the glue came right off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.