Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Safbrew s-33 yeast comments? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

greg from winnipeg (24.66.94.141)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a brick (500 grams) that I will be using over the course of the next few months.

The specs appear to be suitable, especially the wide ferment temps, for the cool basement that houses our primary fermenter.

Any comments from those that have used s-33?

Greg

From website:
S-33:

A very popular general purpose yeast, displaying both very robust conservation and consistent performance. This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and can be used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers, Trappist, etc.).

Sedimentation: medium.
Final gravity: high.
Recommended temperature range:
15ºC-24ºC.
Recommended pitching rate:
50 g/hl to 80 g/hl.

Andrew Leach (209.245.14.217)
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure but isn't this the discontinued Edme dry yeast strain?

jim williams (68.0.214.107)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bought a brick, huh?? excuse my ignorance, but, since I've been using S04 alot recently, adn love it, i thought i'd ask. are you concerned about keeping the yeast pure? Is that not an issue with dry yeast? Do you repackage it real well, or do you just close it up, and not worry about it? Might have to do the same..

Jim

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

s-33 is Edme. I like Edme in my porters and stouts. It starts quick and finishes a little short of where safale-04 and nottingham finishes, so you end up with a little maltyness.

-Doug

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it was Edme also, so the recommendation to use it for Belgians is a little strange...

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Safbrew T58 is the Belgian/wheat yeast. The one time I used S33 I thought it to be very clean, kind of like a dry version of WY1056.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep...just tried a rye wit made with T-58. Killer!

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe a "brick" is just a bunch of 11g packages?

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, a brick is intended for microbrewery use. Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, I used to buy bricks that I re-packaged in 1 gram aluminum foil increments for re-sale...oh, nevermind.

greg from winnipeg (24.66.94.141)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The brick is, as the term suggests, one big chunk of yeast. It feels like a chunk in the vacuumed foil pack just like ground coffee. When you cut through the foil, however, it looks like any other dry yeast.

Jim: I am a bit concerned about storing the yeast. I used 80 grams of it on Sunday (a stout) and will likely continue to use about 80 grams for many of our monthly brews in the future. I merely put the whole thing in a ziplock and put it in a fridge.

Any other suggestions for storing it? Chumley?

I never used Edme in the past but I understand that many brewers held it in high regard. That remark about Belgian beers on the DCL website made me fear that I was going to be making lots of funky beer this winter. If it is Edme, thats a good thing.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can package the remaining dry yeast in plastic bags and store it in the refrigerator. Merely exercise reasonable sanitation practices.

Drew Avis (209.226.137.106)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am the proud keeper of 7 bricks of DCL yeast, which I'm re-packaging with club members tonight. My re-packaging advice is: buy a foodsaver type sealer, and seal up your brick into 1 or 2 serving sizes (for me this is 50 gr). Then keep them in the fridge.

This stuff is amazingly economical compared to liquid. At $40/500 gr wholesale for S04, this works out to $2 / 5 gal batch of highly pitched ale. You could probably get away with half that pitching rate, but bother to save $1? And no more bothering with re-pitching, etc.

Mark Zgarrick (68.78.122.69)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So where does one purchase a brick?

jim williams (68.0.214.107)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, where?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paddock Wood Brewing Supplies in Canada has the DCL yeast in 500 gram bricks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.