Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Efficiency With Different Malt < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Randy McCord (216.174.177.168)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This discussion has been going on for a while so I thought I would post this. I used a different brand of base malt over the weekend and my efficiency went from 60% to 77%. So the story about a certain malt company having a bad crop year must be true. I over shot my O.G. by 8 points. I'm glad I had some extra hops on hand. I'm also relieved to get back where I should be with my efficiency. So if any of you American malt users are having eff. trouble you might keep this in mind.

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That seems like too an incredible increase in efficiency to attribute to just a different brand of malt.

Tom Gardner (162.119.240.100)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be milled differently if you got them from different LHBSs.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pro brewers I've spoken to about this cite wide variances in malt yields over the last year. Most cite Briess as having the most extreme drop in yield.

Jonathan Henderson (4.72.101.232)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I switched from last year's Briess harvest to British 2 row for base malt my efficiency went up 10 points (67% to 77%). The Briess website has a story about the poor harvest last year and its implications for extraction.
Cheers

Randy McCord (216.174.177.166)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the increase was extreme also, but the grain was bought and milled in the same place and I used pretty much my exact brewing procedure. The only difference was Munton's instead of Briess. Hopefully next year will be a better year for Briess. The only other difference was the length of time in the mash which was an extra 15-20 mins. So that could explain a little of the difference in eff. maybe. Normally though, I reach conversion in less than an hour.

Dave Witt (172.167.61.129)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy,

The crush could be affecting your eff. in that if you used Briess 2-row brewers malt, because of the amount of modification, you may not have gotten as fine of crush as you might with Munton's Maris Otter, with the same mill setting.

Mike Pensinger (68.10.199.240)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy,

I too experience the same increase when i use the Muntons Malt. I brew at Hilltop Brewing Company in Va Beach and Briess 2 Row yeilds 75%. The Muntons malts all yeald well over 85%. The other factor that i have discovered is sparge speed. Slowing your sparge down even a little bit can increase your effeciency pretty radically.

Mike Pensinger
mike@pensinger.net
http://www.homebrewusa.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.