Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Recipe Opinions Please < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is my latest:

1# Muntons Amber DME
1# Laaglander Amber DME
1# Crystal 40L

1/2oz Cascade 5.9% AA @ 60&30
1/2oz Willamette 4.3% AA @ 15&5

1/2 11g pack of Windsor

Added 1/2oz Cascade to the grain bag and steeped for 30 min @ 155, also added 12 oz light brown sugar to get the OG up to 1.055...OG when wort was chilled w/o the sugar was 1.043.

Well???

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, what is the batch size?

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

whatever the batch size 25%+- sugar sounds terrible to me ....

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy,
I assume you are doing a 2 gallon batch and 1 pound of extract per gallon is a good rule of thumb, but I would back off on the crystal and bring it down to 1/2 pound. Also, if you are going to boost the OG with sugar add a max of 8 oz. or just add more DME. I like the laaglander to boost body in a honey beer and it should help out if you add brown sugar. Also, the amber DME makes you crystal contribution somewhat of a waste IMHO. Just use Light DME and bump the crystal to 60L.

-Doug

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this is for a 2 gallon batch, Doug's advice is very sound. What style are you seeking to brew? Amber extract already contains a very significant portion of crystal/caramel malt.

Jeremy S (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is just a hair over 2.5 gallons, closer to 2.75, my evaporation rate was not as high this time for some reason. The 12 oz of brown sugar was an accident...I thought I was using a 1 cup measure and I ended up using a 1.25 cup or so, I think I packed the sugar a little too hard too. My original idea was to add just a touch of sugar to boost the ABV by a few tenths...no way in hell I was going for 25% sugar, but I can't take it out and the yeast is working on it as I type so...I'm stuck with it. Why should I drop the amount of Crystal? My steeping efficiency is decent enough...I pulled a sample before adding the DME and I got a gravity reading of 1.023 I think. That's what 50% efficiency? Don't have time to look up the ppg of the 40. IIRC it is 34 ppg right? This beer will end up being a little thinner than I want it, but I hope the Laaglander will help cover it.

The preceding has been a random jumble of thoughts.

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The result from the crystal is not very fermentable and more for color and flavor. Add that to the laaglander and you may have covered any thinning from the extra sugar.

-Doug

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amber extract likely is made from about 20 percent crystal/caramel malt. Steeping additional crystal malt will darken the beer and increase body (and decrease fermentability). The combination of amber Laaglander extract and steeped crystal is likely to result in a beer with a lot of body and an exaggerated caramel sweetness.

Jeremy S (198.81.26.39)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's good to know...I'm brewing this so it might be ready for new years eve(crossing my fingers, toes, legs and eyes) and the people who will be sampleing it are mainly BMC drinkers so I wasn't worried too much about the body...after all we all know that BMC has the most body! (insert a sarcastic smilie here) Just a quick question tho...Does anyone know why the amber muntons is lighter than the amber laaglander? (I think that's right...could be the other way around too)

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just two different companies with two different processes.

-Doug

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, there's no standard recipe to make colored extracts. Each co. uses different ingredients in different amounts. This accounts for the difference you see.

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...well the vigorous fermentation is done and all that is happening now is tiny bubbles (Don Ho anyone?:)) are crawling up the sides. Is this a sign that I should rack to secondary, or should I wait untill the 19th like I planed? The large chunks that were visible on the bottom of the fermenter are now gone. Did they just migrate to the center where I can't see them, or did the yeast consume them? Heh...my sixth batch an I'm asking questions I should have been asking on my first! :)

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checked the gravity and took a taste...gravity is sitting at 1.019 and the taste is a little sweet still so I will wait till the 19th I guess before I rack to secondary. But my other questions are still open.

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give it time. There is no reason to rush a beer. There are always interesting commercial beers to get you through another weekend (even down here in Florida).

I usually don't rack an ale to the secondary until it has been at least two weeks, even if I know the fermentation was complete after 3 or 4 days.

-Doug

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug- Hoping to have this in the bottle by Christmas Eve so I can have it at my families New Years Eve party...I know, I know..I should have started it sooner, but either money or time did not permit me to do so. So I will be stuck with a young beer, but it will still be better than the BMC that will be there!

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy,
Let the beer finish in the primary and then do a short secondary. In the secondary, add a couple of packets of clear unflavored gelatin. If you can, do the short secondary at a lower than Ale temp (say around 55f to 60f). This will drop out a lot of yeast but there will still be enough to carb the beer in the bottle.

-Doug

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deadline or not, don't be in such a hurry to rack the beer until the gravity is where it should be. It's much better to serve a good beer when it's ready than a bad beer before its time.

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I started at 1.055 and I'm hoping to get it down to about 1.014 or 1.012 and it is siting at a constant 70 degrees. Using Windsor so I figure that the temp is about right. Was told that without a secondary this beer will be ready for the bottle in 8 days...I'll rack to secondary on the 19th which is day 5 and leave it in secondary for 3-4 days, which will give the beer about 7 days to carbonate. It will only be partialy carbonated, but it will be OK. I'll just tell my family that it is naturally carbonated and that will give really tiny bubbles. :)

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I started at 1.055 and I'm hoping to get it down to about 1.014 or 1.012 and it is siting at a constant 70 degrees. Using Windsor so I figure that the temp is about right. Was told that without a secondary this beer will be ready for the bottle in 8 days...I'll rack to secondary on the 19th which is day 5 and leave it in secondary for 3-4 days, which will give the beer about 7 days to carbonate. It will only be partialy carbonated, but it will be OK. I'll just tell my family that it is naturally carbonated and that will give really tiny bubbles. :)

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's quite a bit of Laaglander extract and crystal malt in that recipe. Coupled with the Windsor yeast, I wouldn't expect an apparent attenuation of more than 70 percent, even with the brown sugar you used. That would indicate an estimated F.G. of about 1.017.

Jeremy S (198.81.26.39)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah that's what I figured too, but the last time I made this recipe it got down to 1.014 so that's what I'm aiming for.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.