Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * O.G. estimate help please < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

JOHN K. LEE (206.66.239.111)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first AG tasted great going into the keg on Sunday. Just wondering if any of you guys with software could help me find out what the approximate O.G. of this beer should have been. I took a pre-boil reading but it was out of the ball-valve on the bottom of the kettle. I later learned that I should have stirred the wort before taking a sample.It read 1.064. Anyway I mashed ....
-10 lbs British 2-row
-1 lbs victory malt
-1 lbs crystal 40
The F.G. going into the keg was 1.011
-any help is much appreciated
-J.K.L.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://hbd.org/recipator/

http://www.promash.com

Fritz Eubanks (131.167.48.221)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming 75% efficiency, I come up with 1.067. I get 1.064 at 71%.

Hope this helps

Fritz

JOHN K. LEE (206.66.239.111)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the pre-boil reading isn't too far off? I thought that it would be considerably lower going into the carboy. hmmmm? My LHBS owner(off the top of his head)said it would be around 1.040. I like your answer much better. Thanks!
-J.K.L.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Estimates off the top of one's head are nototiously unreliable.

Craig Johnson (172.196.115.129)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

I take my gravity reading on the wort that goes into the carboy rather than preboil readings. I think this helps with my consistency in pitching to gravity ratio.

No, I don't have either a ratio nor a formula when pitching yeast. I just say "Man, that is a high OG. I better make a bigger starter."

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Craig, by the time the wort is in the carboy, isn't it too late to make a bigger starter? You'd have to wait a few days before pitching, wouldn't you?

Randy McCord (216.174.177.182)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take a pre-boil reading to help me decide on hops additions and amounts. Last weekend, my eff. was way up and I missed my target O.G. by several points. I try to adjust I.B.U.'s to pre-boil gravity. Just my way of doing things. Most of the time though, I'm not that inconsistant.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.182)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take a pre-boil reading to help me decide on hops additions and amounts. Last weekend, my eff. was way up and I missed my target O.G. by several points. I try to adjust I.B.U.'s to pre-boil gravity. Just my way of doing things. Most of the time though, I'm not that inconsistant.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I measure the pre-boil volume and gravity and compare it to my target. If the gravity is high I add some water, if low (this happens more rarely) I add DME. That way I am almost always within a point of the target O.G. in the fermenter.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.151)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought about adding water to mine last time, but I only had two empty primaries, so I didn't have the room for the extra volume and hated to leave any behind in the kettle. I wasn't brewing by style or anything so I just added a few more hops to balance it out. It's kind of an experimental recipe anyway. I bet it'll be great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.