Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Dried orange peel ? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

onebarrel (66.48.1.67)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some Belgian recipies call for dried orange peel.
Does anyone know what kind of oranges are used for these recipes ? what type of orange for bitter and sweet ?
I have been using the products sold by LHBS and have thought I could do my own at home.
The stuff sold by LHBS is large greenish chunks and seem to do the job OK.
The bitter seem to be REALLY bitter and when added for a Wit recipie were a little overpowering.
Been using the sweet type mostly because of this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bitter orange peel is also known as curacao orange peel. Its effect is more for bittering than flavor. It usually replaces a portion of the hops in wit recipes, for example.

Sweet orange peel has more of an orange flavor. I am not aware of the specific varieties, but I am of the opinion that you could use oranges from the grocery store. Do not, however, use the white pith that is under the peel; it can cause a pronounced ham flavor. Use only the actual orange-colored peel.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe we have stumbled on the secret to brewing a Hamms beer clone. No wonder it tastes better warm than it does cold.

PTA

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Never trust a beer endorsed by a goofy bear"

I live by this.

Marlon Lang (68.18.113.91)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Curaco Orange in many beers, not just Belgian. But, invariably when I use it, those little green chunks find their way into my plumbing and cause all kinds of headaches. For this reason, I recommend boiling it separately and using the tea, or boiling it in a bag.

Jim Layton (67.29.233.221)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are looking for a fresh alternative to the bitter orange peel from the HBS, Randy Mosher would suggest using the peel from Seville oranges.

Randy gave a fresh Seville orange to me at the Dixie Cup a few years back. I couldn't use it at the time so I dried the peel in a food dehydrator and used it in a wit a few months later. That wit turned out exceptionally well, but I don't know if the orange was the reason why.

I'm not certain, but I think I remember reading that Seville and Curacao oranges are the same thing.

Joe Alf (65.139.154.97)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read somewhere that the belgians use a different genus than citrus that we grow in the US. I think these include Curacao.
Joe

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.