Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Ray Daniels No Longer editor of Zymurgy! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Lysozme use questionDenny Conn12-17-03  07:05 pm
  Start New Thread        

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now,

The following is from the AOB news letter

Association of Brewers names Jim Parker editor of
Zymurgy and The New Brewer magazines

Boulder, Colo. • December 8, 2003- The Association of Brewers (AOB) today announced the appointment of industry veteran Jim Parker to the Editor-in-Chief position for the organization’s two magazines, Zymurgy and The New Brewer.

“We are excited to have Jim back at the Association of Brewers,” said Paul Gatza, Director of the Association of Brewers. “Jim’s experience over the past fifteen years, and especially his work for the Oregon Brewers Guild, will bring a high degree of brewing and industry knowledge to the magazines and the organization as a whole.”

Parker has served as Executive Director of the Oregon Brewers Guild for four years, developing a solid beer enthusiast membership and maintaining communication with Oregon's brewers. Recently, Parker was awarded the Brewers’Association of America's Defense of the Small Brewing Industry Award for his work in a coalition to defeat an unfair tax proposal in Oregon. Parker will remain with the Oregon Brewers Guild in a capacity that reduces his administrative responsibilities.

Parker’s background includes publishing Rocky Mountain Brews in the first half of the 1990s and working for six different newspapers throughout the western United States. In the 1990s Parker also served as administrator for the Association of Brewers (formerly known as Institute for Brewing Studies) and director of the American Homebrewers Association.

Parker has served as head brewer and general manager in two breweries and owned the beloved Mountain Tap Tavern in Fort Collins Colo. Parker will continue to live in Gresham, Ore. and primarily telecommute.

Parker can best be reached by email at jim@aob.org or by phone at (503) 465-0013. His first magazine issues in this position will be March /April 2004.

Based in Boulder, Colo., U.S.A., the Association of Brewers (AOB) is a not-for-profit educational, trade association for small and craft brewers. Its mission is to make quality beer and brewing knowledge accessible to all. Visit the website: www.beertown.org to learn more.

The Association of Brewers has an additional membership division of 9,000+ homebrewers: American Homebrewers Association.

The association’s activities include events and publishing: World Beer Cup®; Great American Beer Festival®; Craft Brewers Conference and BrewExpo America®; National Homebrewers Conference; National Homebrew Competition; American Beer Month (July); Zymurgy magazine; The New Brewer magazine; and books on beer and brewing.

C'ya!

-Scott

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim Parker's a good guy...hopefully he'll be able to maintain the advancement in quality that Zymurgy has experienced under Ray Daniels.

Paul Edwards (199.46.199.231)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here's where Ray is going:

Association of Brewers Names Ray Daniels Director of Craft Beer Marketing Boulder, Colo. ¥

December 1, 2003- The Association of Brewers today announced the appointment of industry veteran Ray Daniels to the newly created position of Director of Craft Beer Marketing. In this position, Daniels
will promote craft beer to American consumers, the wholesale and retail trade and the media.

ÒOur goal with this program is to help our members sell more beer,Ó said Charlie Papazian, Founder and
President of the Association of Brewers. ÒOver the past 25 years, the Association of Brewers has helped small brewers get started and helped them to make better beer. While we will continue to provide these services, we want to focus on helping them to sell more beer by getting people to better understand and appreciate the flavors of craft beer.Ó

Daniels currently serves as Director of Publications for the Association, responsible for book publishing and for editing of the organizationÕs two magazines, The New Brewer and Zymurgy. He will continue to oversee book publishing and become Executive Editor for the magazines to provide input on content and editorial direction as well as overall publication quality. A new editor will be named shortly to assume responsibility for day-to-day production of the magazines.

Daniels brings more than 20 years of sales, marketing, journalism and public relations experience to his new position. After earning an MBA from Harvard in 1983, he worked as a sales representative for Abbott Laboratories and became Product Manager for development and launch of the first HIV test in 1985. From 1988 to 1995 he worked in public relations, serving as an Account Supervisor at Hill and Knowlton before founding his own public relations firm to serve Fortune 100 healthcare companies and regional hospitals.

In 1995, Daniels converted an establish passion for homebrewing into a professional interest when he completed the Siebel Institute Diploma Course in Brewing. Afterwards, he attempted to establish a brewpub in Chicago while writing his first book on brewing. Launched in December 1996, Designing Great Beers has become a perennial best-seller, popular with homebrewers and commercial brewers alike.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The AOB/AHA/IBS seems to be a rather clubby organization where people come and go and return. As the press release mentions, Jim Parker was once the administrator of the AHA (now Paul Gatza's role) and left to take his position with the Oregon Brewers Guild. He has a reputation for being a nice guy. Ray Daniels has a strong background in both marketing and communications. He is a good choice for promoting craft brewing and beers if he is given the budget to effectively do so. Zymurgy improved under his editorship, although some of the attempts to increase the technical level of its content appear to have been abandoned. It still retains much of its focus on AHA membership and activities. My own guess is that this will continue under Parker.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Bill. The "For Geeks Only" column was pretty good, but I haven't seen it in recent issues. Way better than the homebrew clubs brewing extract beers column (you can tell that extract manufacturers are major advertisers in Zymurgy). I recall that Ray Daniels used to appeal to the digest for contributors, so maybe no one is sending any contributions?

Of course, is there anyone who really wants to read an article like Steve Alexander's responses to Fredrik's questions on yeast biochemistry? :)

aleman (199.154.238.242)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish they would have left Ray where he was. He cares about Zymurgy, responds to emails, etc. The AOB is just a silly cash cow for Charlie.

Midwest Brewer (167.206.189.16)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe he wasn't good at writing bottle opener articles.

MWB

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> The AOB is just a silly cash cow for Charlie.

why spite him for his success?

Marlon Lang (68.18.113.91)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with BP. But, let us hope that Karen Berela dosen't return. We do not need to search for the cosmic significnance of homebrewing.

Marlon Lang (68.18.101.43)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And speaking of AOB/AHA/IBS, to my knowledge none of the movers and shakers at AHA/Zymurgy/et.al. participate in HBD, whereas several BYO folks do. Wonder why? Maybe chumley is really Paul Gatza and PTA is Charlie Papazian? If AOB/AHA/IBS is really serious about beating the homebrew drum, an excellent start would be a donation to the server fund, and regular posts on the forum.

aleman (199.154.238.242)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why spite him for his success?

His focus should be on growing the homebrew hobby, legalizing homebrewing in all 50 states, not travelling the world on membership dues....

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

<Maybe chumley is really Paul Gatza and PTA is Charlie Papazian?

That is a very nice complement to Charlie...

RDWHAHB! I have to run now - flying to Belgium to meet up with Pau - I mean chumley.

PTA

Paul Edwards (199.46.199.230)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking from experience, the legalization effort is best handled at the grass roots local level. I led the effort to get the laws changed here in Indiana. Since 1999, we have what I think is one of the most progressive set of laws regarding homemade beer and wine.

The AHA can provide info and some sort of database of "lessons learned", but the day-to-day effort of getting laws changed takes dedicated individuals who have the time to spend in countless committee hearings with their elected representatives. State Reps and State Senators want to hear from their constituents. The situation is different in each state, and local folks can best be in a position to make the needed changes happen.

Keeping this on thread, I think Jim Parker is a very capable guy, and will continue with the improvements that Ray brought to Zymurgy.

Somewhere in a photo album at home I have a picture of Jim from the awards banquet cruise at the AHA convention in Cleveland from a few years back. I'll dig it up, scan it and post it so you can see who the new editor really is...

Paul Edwards (199.46.200.230)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking from experience, the legalization effort is best handled at the grass roots local level. I led the effort to get the laws changed here in Indiana. Since 1999, we have what I think is one of the most progressive set of laws regarding homemade beer and wine.

The AHA can provide info and some sort of database of "lessons learned", but the day-to-day effort of getting laws changed takes dedicated individuals who have the time to spend in countless committee hearings with their elected representatives. State Reps and State Senators want to hear from their constituents. The situation is different in each state, and local folks can best be in a position to make the needed changes happen.

Keeping this on thread, I think Jim Parker is a very capable guy, and will continue with the improvements that Ray brought to Zymurgy.

Somewhere in a photo album at home I have a picture of Jim from the awards banquet cruise at the AHA convention in Cleveland from a few years back. I'll dig it up, scan it and post it so you can see who the new editor really is...

Paul Hayslett (64.252.38.147)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> handled at the grass roots local level...

That's the weird thing about the AOB/AHA/etc. -- there is no "grass roots level". I don't want to hijack this thread and send it off into the land of "What's wrong with the AOB". But my suggestion for Ray Daniels or anyone else in the AOB whose job involves outreach, marketing, or education is to start building a "local chapter" system. The most committed and effective evangelists are always the foot soldiers in an organization's lowest tier. The lack of such a tier is a huge handicap.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul H., the AHA focuses quite a bit of effort on its liaison with local homebrew clubs. Their approach is largely "bottom up," that is, much of the initiative comes from the local level. They do not want to be seen as imposing their will on homebrewers, who seem to be an independent lot who resent control from above.

It may be that you are not fortunate enough to live where there is a well organized club. Of course that wouldn't prevent you from using your own considerable people skills to help organize one. If you did so you would find that the AHA welcomes your input and would offer a reasonable level of support considering their relatively small budget.

Paul E. is correct that the effort to legalize homebrewing (there remain seven states where it is somewhat in question) largely has to be done at the local level. The legislators who are key to its success don't place much stock in national lobbying groups such as the AHA. They want to know that supporters of legislation are local constituents whose votes they need.

Bob Rescinito (162.58.0.112)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, The AHA doesn't have a "chapter-like" system in place, but they do employ a state Liaison program. The liaison is the intermediate step between local clubs and the AHA. Jeff Swearengin (beertracker) and I are the liaisons for Oklahoma. We act as soundung boards for local club members and coordinate issues, problems and concerns to report back to AHA. We interface with AHA through periodic e-newsletters and a face-to-face meeting at the AHA national conference. The program and the liaisons could be used more effectively, but it is a start. Unfortunately, I think AHA thinks of us mostly as membership drive coordinators.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I belong to an established AHA Brewclub, with monthly meetings, other events, and a good group of "regulars"

As far as the club goes it seems the AHA doesn't even exist....or only exists to put out Zymurgy (which seems to offer less and less to me, as my brewing advances)

it just seems to me like the AHA is some far away self-appointed bureaucracy....

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See, I did hijack the thread. Sorry! I really don't want this to be an "attack the AHA" rant. For one thing, check back to my post and you'll see that I reference the entire AOB/AHA/IBS/etc, not just the AHA. For another, I think the AOB does a great job at the national level, organizing the big national conferences and such.

Let me give an example of where I think things could be better at a sub-national level. Daniels' new job is to raise awareness and sell more craft beer. One way to do that is through events like the GABF, which generate lots of press and puff pieces on the Food Network and give brewers shiny medals to display when advertising. But there are many local and regional events where the AOB plays no role beyond a free listing on their web site. They could help with promotion and seed cash. They could share expertise in logistics and organization learned from running the GABF. And as a group with a proven track record running safe, successful events, their involvement could help in negotiating for venues and insurance, soothing skittish mayors and insurance companies who might not want a "keg party" in their turf.

This kind of support for sub-national events could really keep craft beer in the public eye in between once-yearly events like the GABF.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a worthy idea, Paul. If I can paraphrase what you said, I assume you are referring to support of local and regional festivals and events rather than only the nationally sanctioned ones such as the GABF, RAF, etc.

Send your thoughts to Ray Daniels (ray@aob.org). He was very good about responding to e-mails when he was Zymurgy editor.

Steve Jones (164.89.253.4)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - posted too soon. See the following message

Steve Jones (164.89.253.4)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've not frequented the forum for a few months, but do occasionally check it out. This thread caught my eye, and since I was elected by the AHA membership to represent them on the AHA Board of Advisors, I figured I'd make a few comments.

Much of what has been said here is quite accurate, though I don't believe the notion that it is a cash cow for Charlie (at least, not for several years now). The AOB side of the organization has done much to further the Craft brewing industry, and homebrewers have benefited greatly from this: access to better ingredients; greater beer awareness of the general public; equipment improvements; help with legislation; sponsorship of competitions; etc. Can you imagine where homebrewing & craftbrewing would be if Charlie had not formed the AHA/AOB? I know that back in the mid 70s there was little selection, even in the largest liquor store in America (Applejacks in Denver). I remember being able to buy a few British & Scandinavian imports, but not much else.

I will agree that Zymurgy is not Brewing Techniques by any stretch of the imagination. But the vast majority of homebrewers are extract brewers with less than 5 years of experience, so the magazine is largely pertinent to them. I too miss the For Geeks Only article, but most do not. It is by no means an easy task to publish a magazine that will appeal to all brewers. Ray did a great job, but it still falls short of many brewers' expectations.

And for benefits other than Zymurgy, have you bought any HB books lately? The publishing side of the house just reprinted Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer, and recently published Ken Schramm's Compleat Meadmaker, as well as many others over the years. Who else would do this if the AHA didn't? And have you used your AHA membership card to get a discount via the Pub Discount program? There are more and more pubs/beer bars participating every month, connecting to homebrewers via the AOB. You could easily save your membership cost with this program.

There is some degree of grass-roots level things that go on - most apparent is the National Homebrewers Conference. It is now largely organized by local clubs, sometimes several of them working together, who manage all the details with guidance and assistance from the AHA on things such as Speaker arrangements, contracts with hotels & vendors, solicitation of sponsors, etc. Granted, a small minority of homebrewers attend the conference, but once I attended the first one, I will never miss one again as long as I am physically able.

Paul, your idea of the AHA helping to organize or sponsor some more regional or local events is a good one, and I'll pass it on to the board & the staff. If any of you ever have any ideas to make the AHA better, feel free to email me. I will be responsive, and your ideas will be heard and debated by the board, and passed on to the staff.

Steve Jones
stevejones@aob.org

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! It's nice to be heard. Thanks!

Bill, your paraphrase is correct. Where I failed to make my point is that local chapters or clubs are usually better placed to get involved in local events than the national headquarters. The head-office staff will be spread too thin if it tries to be everywhere.

Bob R., thanks for describing the liason program. Bill is right; I live in an area without any clubs (I tried to start one myself but couldn't drum up enough interest). So I didn't know about the program. It's exactly the kind of thing that can grow into an effective regional system for sponsorship, lobbying, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.