Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * A good idea?...Bill, Denny, Chumley... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jim O'Conner (64.70.24.205)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a slurry of Wyeast 3068 that I used originally in a Hefe. I used the slurry from that batch in another Hefe. I now have the second slurry refrigerated. My idea is to purchase another 3068 smack-pak and make a 1/2gal. starter. I will combine this starter with the slurry to pitch to a weizenbock. My reasoning is that while I'm confident that the slurry has enough yeast cells to complete the fermentation, the characteristic weizen flavors and esters may have diminished. This is why I would add the fresh starter. Crazy??

aquavitae (134.84.195.46)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm not one of the riders of the purple sage but seems like overkill to me. The yeast are the same yeast and after two batches should provide the same flavor profile.

Chuck Denofrio (64.135.203.46)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have reused slurries 5 times, worked fine.
"riders of the purple sage" hummm? How does one get there?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The population of the slurry will be many times greater than that of a half-gallon starter. There's not a lot to be gained from the effort of making another starter. By the way, there is some evidence that wheat yeast strains lose their banana/clove character with repeated pitchings, but two or three times should not be a problem.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perhaps some of the diminished flavor is from cooler ferm. temps, (I know my ferm temps are cooler now than they were a month ago...)

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is speculation that the gene controlling the production of the banana/clove flavor is susceptible to mutation.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Riders of the purple sage"??? I always pictured myself more along the lines of the Magnificent Seven.

Being lumped together with Bill and Denny tells me I really have to get back to work. :)

P.S. to Jim: I wouldn't direct any wheat beer questions to Denny.

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you'll be fine with just the slurry, Jim....just ignore that chumley dude who's tellin' ya to ignore me! :)

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking more like larry, moe, and curly...

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a MUCH better analogy!

Marlon Lang (68.18.96.207)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aquavitae, are you showing your age? These young dudes may no know that The Riders of the Purple Sage were the back-up singers behind Roy Rogers. Methinks Hophead is correct.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who you calling a young dude?? I've worked hard for this grey hair, dammit! :) But you're correct, 3 Stooges is more apt.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or Kukla, Fran and Ollie.

PTA

aquavitae (134.84.195.46)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm only old in spirit...
Maybe I should have gone with New Riders of the Purple Sage, but then again this description from the RotPS web site seemed quite apropos. "Though most of the western music legends have ridden into the sunset, BUCK is still on the scene doing what he loves to do best, singing the western songs he (and we) grew up with and entertaining people from around the world. And, like the great cowboy entertainers of old, he still loves to croon all night and play his Gretsch arch-top guitar up one side and down the other for his loyal following of western music fans"

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NRPS??? That hippie-dippie Grateful Dead offshoot ••••??? That ain't me (anymore!).

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Different bands, different eras, similar names. The Riders of the Purple Sage were a western outfit founded by Foy Willing in the 1940s that lasted into the '50s with a brief later reunion. They replaced the Sons of the Pioneers as Roy Rogers' backing band in the late '40s. The New Riders of the Purple Sage were a hippie country offshoot of the Grateful Dead (they shared bass player Phil Lesh and occasionally other members of the Dead) from the '70s into the early the '80s who exploited the name.

He!l, I'm old enough to remember them both, though the original New Riders were past their prime by the time I was around.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

History lesson for the kids, eh, Bill? :)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.