Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Truth in Labeling < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Michael (69.132.111.174)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that would be one hell of a label...on the bright side, the bottles would need to be bigger for them to fit. :>) Amazing...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=14&u=/ap/20031217/ap_on_re_us/alcohol_label_2

The National Consumers League, the Center for Science in the Public Interest and others petitioned the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau to require a new, standardized "alcohol facts" label on alcoholic beverage containers. The label would include:

_Alcohol content expressed as a percentage of volume.

_Serving size.

_Amount of alcohol per serving.

_Number of calories per serving.

_Ingredients.

_Number of standard drinks per container.

_U.S. Dietary Guidelines' advice on moderate drinking for men and women.

TexanBrewer (63.174.45.1)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is not the Center for Science and Public Interest the same group that went after movie popcorn? Who the heck eats enough movie popcorn to make a difference in their diet?

Careful, Scott. That soapbox is getting very close...

---
Scott
http://texanbrew.com

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The main reason to attack movie popcorn is the outrageous price. The truth is that gram for gram the profit margin for movie popcorn is greater than for cocaine or heroin. On the health front, the palm oil that provides much of the yummy flavor is very high in both calories and saturated fats.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it was coconut oil or cottenseed oil... If it is Palm oil - it would explain why your hands get so greasy....

PTA

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On further investigation, it's a blend of coconut and palm oil.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But are they partially hydrogenated?

Is the popcorn reference to dope pre or post popped, and before or after "butter" and salt?

John Schmidt (65.238.10.13)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead, you add butter and salt to your dope?

Doug J (12.64.90.92)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooooooooh, trust me, the big brewers do not want to have to list ingredients.

don price (65.32.41.166)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It beats using the dope to brew.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, are you kidding me, I can still remember the AB commercials bragging about "it's the rice".

The vast majority of swill drinkers would see rice, corn, adjuncts, as a good 'all natural' thing to add to beer...

Joe Verona (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Palm oil??? Hmm. Did I just read about that in another thread?

Maybe I can lube my keg seals with it.

Don Million (63.214.47.39)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The interesting thing to me is that the BATF currently FORBIDS beer makers from listing the alcohol content of the beer. They are afraid that it would start a "my beer's stronger than your beer" kind of competition that would lead to us turning into a nation of drunks.

Isn't it nice that your friendly neighborhood Big Brother thinks so highly of you that they protect you from yourself by keeping you in ignorance, rather than giving you information to make your own decisions?

Paul Edwards (199.46.200.231)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not exactly forbidden.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Celebration Ale both list the alcohol content, at least on what they ship to Indiana.

As for the profit margin thing on heroin & cocaine, Now I understand why that shady-looking place in my neighborhood is now selling popcorn...

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Listing alcohol content of beer is no longer forbidden in the US, but neither is it required as in some countries. The major brewers have resisted listing ingredient, nutrition and related consumer information on their beers because they claim the public would only be confused. This was the same argument put forth by food processors 20 years ago. At the time the nutritional food label laws were enacted, beer was exempted.

Don Million (63.214.47.39)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really!?! When did that change? I'm amazed that they're willing to trust us with a little bit of information.

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the reference, Don:

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-1631.ZS.html

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1995 that the former regulation forbidding the listing of alcohol content violated the First Amendment's free speech provisions. The count upheld a lower court ruling, which was appealed by Coors, that listing of the alcohol content constituted protected commercial speech. The ruling was unanimous, with Justice Clarence Thomas writing the opinion. Coors unsuccessfully argued that the listing of alcohol content on the label would set off "strength wars" among brewers but the court stated that other measures would be more effective in preventing marketing based on alcoholic strength.

Since then it has been legal but not required to list alcohol content on U.S. beer labels.

Doug J (67.200.25.26)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The big breweries don't want to list ingredients because they would have to list such things as polyvinyl pyrrolidone, corn syrup,hop oil fraction, and sodium silicate. Kinda gives an edge to the micros that can just say 'water, malt, hops, yeast', don't you think?

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't speak for the others, and I have no particular fondness for Budweiser, but I know for a fact that it contains no ingredients other than water, barley malt, rice, hops and yeast.

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto.

I love saying that, it adds so much to the thread.

Sodium silicate? That's the anti-caking ingredient put in things like sweet-n-lo isn't it? Don't think that would be in there, neither would corn syrup, unless it's gatorade or one of those alternative malt beverages...

Don't even want to know what polyvinyl is. Wasn't that before the CD was invented?

Dan Mourglea (24.158.35.230)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead, coconut and palm oil don't have to be hydrogenated because they are almost totally comprised of saturated fatty acids anyhow. Although not specifically mentioned here coconut oil has something like 85% saturated fatty acids vs. pork fat (lard) which is only comprised of 45-50% saturated fatty acids. palm oil is not far behind with (I believe) 70-75%. But of course there are no trans-fatty acids (as in margarine) because those are not found anywhere in nature only in the artificially chemically produced stuff.

Hophead (172.211.75.249)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I give up, tried to post 3 times.

Let's see... JIF now has FULLY hrydrogenated RAPEseed oil.

See you all in h e l l ...

Rob F (12.154.254.158)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh...heh,heh,heh. He said "rapeseed." In PC speech, that's canola oil. What's a canola? And how do you get oil from it? You just squeeze canola oil out of the rapeseed. Or you just relabel rapeseed oil for our fragile consumers. You can't market rapeseed oil, but you can now say f_ck on television.

Patrick C. (63.250.179.198)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, I put polyvinylpolypyrrolidone in my beer all the time. I'm sure a lot of micros use Polyclar or other finings too. The mega brewers could show that no Polyclar makes it through their filtering process, so they probably wouldn't have to list it anyway. If they did list it, it would only cause confusion and excite people with irrational fears.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.