Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * WLP023 Question? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Matt Lucey (199.99.101.29)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I have batch of IPA that I am fermenting with WLP023. It's sitting nicely around 68 and has fermented normally...for the most part. It blew the air locks out and with it a bunch of yeast paste. I've never seen anything like this before, I mean it was just like a thick paste, I could roll it into a ball....is this normal. I guess I've never really inspected a yeast cake, is this the same consistency? Just curious....

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's normal. Makes it fun to clean the carboy after it dries and hardens too.

Vance Barnes (69.15.38.210)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had the same thing happen to me with that yeast. Nice creamy top cropping yeast. Only yeast I've ever had to blow off in a 6.5 gal. bucket. Kinda looks like peanut butter... whoops, wrong thread.

Bob McCouch (199.21.28.21)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm, haven't had that happen to me with WLP023, but I have noticed that it produces prodigious amounts of sulfur in the latter stages of fermentation.

Makes one hell of a stout when it's all said and done, though!

Jack Corrozi (192.189.32.10)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the Burton strain correct?
If so, it does indeed produce some thick slurry and damn good beer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.