Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Old trub question < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Moby Dick Brewing (207.70.37.9)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Long time reader, first time poster. I have some trub that I saved in a sterilzed jar. I was thinking of making a starter with it and pitching it into a brew. What are my chances of infection or wild yeast?

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to say. The yeast is 8 months old.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few questions: how old is the yeast, under what conditions has it been stored and was it covered with anything (beer, water, etc.)? Assuming it has remained sanitary, there is little risk of contamination. The more important issue is whether there are any viable cells left, which will depend on your answers to the questions above.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill. The yeast is 8 months old. covered with beer from the batch I got it from. I also have had it covered with Saran and a lid from the beginning.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has it been refrigerated?

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may as well go ahead and make a starter with it. If the amount of sediment is small I would pour off the liquid on top of the sediment, pitch it into a pint or so or starter wort and wait 4-5 days. Look for a layer of yeast on the bottom of the starter vessel. If you are brewing a high gravity beer or a batch larger than 5 gallons I would step up the starter once more.

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. In fact the beer is a leftover batch that will only be 3 gallons. OG around 1.052.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.