Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * The cookie that starts with an "O" Stout < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading threads on another board that mention eating oreo cookies with a stout (Guiness seems to be the most popular). Just wondering if you would be able to add the cookies to the mash? Would you end up with a huge mess in your MT? Possibly you could end up with a oreo stout...don't have to worry about the crumbs. :) This is how I got it figured...add 1 or 2 packages of oreos just before you sparge, say like 10 min, and stir them into the mash. Of course the amount of fermentables may push a regular stout into the imperial range, but then again maybe not. Just sumpthin I had rattling around in my head today.

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is probably all kinds of stuff in oreo cookies that you don't want in your beer. Oils, preservatives, etc.

Yes, it would make a huge mess in your MT.

And like all things sweet - consider how an oreo cookie would taste with no sugar in it because that's what it's gonna taste like.

Just because something tastes good *along with* beer doesn't mean it *belongs in* beer. I like a nice dinner of roast pork, sauerkraut, and potato dumplings with a weiss beer but I don't toss that stuff in the mash.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the goal is to achieve chocolate flavor I think there are better ways, such as using powdered cacao or chocolate extract. For one thing, cookies are full of sugar that will completely ferment, leaving no sweetness and thinning the body of the beer.

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Besides everything else, if you WERE going to do it, the mash wouldn't be the place..

Da Mighty Zug (64.22.205.146)
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would crush it up into a fine powder and add in the last 15 min of the boil. I see no since in mashing if the sugars are already there.

Zug

chumley (63.227.173.104)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First peanut butter, now oreos - I have heard that Skittles are the way to go in order to make fruit beers.

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here's a thought......Oreo=Chocolate+Vanila Cream filling....maybe you could add coco powder or bakers chocolate and a vanilla bean or two? Has anyone tried this combo in a stout before?

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I have heard that Skittles are the way to go in
> order to make fruit beers.

Yes...it's called Skittlebrau - but Apu claimed there was no such product.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, but Pizza Hut Abdul says the mango chutney ale is absolutely to be dying for.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on Skittlebrau

PTA

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy, you're makin' me sick, here! :)

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Has anyone tried this combo in a stout before?

What ever happened to enjoying the simple combination of glass and beer?

Jeremy S (198.81.26.39)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hell I wouldn't drink it...I'd give it to the guys I don't like! :)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.