Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Coffee in beer? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

walter (67.249.230.61)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone made a stout or some type of dark beer with coffee as an adjunct? Have you used coffee grains or directly added expresso coffee after the boil? What type of flavor did it add? Was it too strong or noticeable?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Alf (65.139.149.230)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4 cups of strong 8Oclock colombian coffee added to the Keg worked good for me.
This was the topic of a recent post, check the archives.
Joe

Mike McNeil (24.129.17.181)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just bottled a coffee vanilla cream stout 1 week ago.

My procedure with the coffee was to lightly crack (with a rolling pin) 2 ozs. of French Roast beans. Place in a sanitized nylon hop bag with a few sanitized marbles (to weigh bag/beans down)and add to secondary for 2 weeks.

I tasted of course at bottling and was fairly balanced. Coffee flavor was up front, but not overwhelming.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Mike. "Dry beaning" is very effective.

Hercules (134.163.253.126)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done this once, with an Irish stout. I brewed my coffee as usual and added half of a pot to a 2-1/2 gallon batch. It tasted good, but I decided that I'd rather drink coffee when I want a coffee taste and beer when I want a beer taste.

The amount you use will vary according to what coffee you use and how strong it is. The one I used French Market, made with one tablespoon grounds per cup of coffee. A full 12-cup pot should be just about right for a 5-gallon batch.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just bottled an oatmeal espresso stout that used both dry beaning and espresso added at bottling. My advice is to underhop if you're gonna use coffee. The bitterness from the coffee will really compensate for the underhopping. I brewed 3 test batches of stout before I got a recipe that would compensate for the coffee.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.