Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * @$%*!# Vinyl Tubing < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mike McNeil (24.129.17.181)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I try to change out my vinyl tubing every 3rd batch or so, but the newer the stuff, the less pliable it is. Its a damn challenge trying to get the stuff uncurled so it'll sit at the bottom of your bottling bucket as to not aerate the heck out of your beer.

I thought I recalled a few months ago someone posting a thread about a softer type of tubing that can be used more easily.

Anybody have any suggestions? THANKS!

jason fuller (216.67.197.79)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is softer and harder stuff, if you want it straight boil it and let it cool straight. I had the same problem.
cheers

chumley (63.227.173.104)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I asked that question on a thread a few months ago. The tubing you want can be purchased at http://www.usplastic.com

Unfortunately, I wrote down what type of tubing to buy on a piece of paper, which of course I have lost. Maybe someone else recalls (or maybe whoever answered my question in the first place will see this thread).

Curse that cheap curlycue crap they sell at the hardware store!

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy the cheap stuff at the despot in 10' lengths just for bottling. I cut off a 2' section...lasts for awhile. I'm in the process of looking for food grade silicon tubing...very bendy.

danno (63.224.226.20)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I was frustrated with vinyl tubing for the same reason so I used some of my straight 3/8" SS tubing. I can put the outlet wherever I want now.

B3 has silicone tubing which will be more pliable. The other type is Norprene but I have not seen any of this type so I don't know how pliable it is.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norprene tubing is very pliable and handles high temperatures well but is quite expensive (at least $1 a foot) for ordinary transfer tubing. I use the cheap vinyl tubing from HD, but as the others have mentioned, silicone tubing is available from US Plastics or B3.

Michael (69.132.111.174)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>>Curse that cheap curlycue crap they sell at the hardware store!>>>>

My thoughts exactly. I have 15 feet of this stuff that has taken the character of a ball of yarn. And in the spirit of the season...my thoughts in trying to use the stuff are best summed up by the following...

>>>Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

Sons of b*tches! Bumpuses! >>>>>

Patrick C. (63.250.179.198)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stick a straight piece of racking cane or other rigid tube on the end of the vinyl tubing- that will help keep it in place, and prevent an oxidizing beer fountain in the bucket.

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow..... i use the same tubing for years on end..

Walt

Dave Aronoff (141.214.17.5)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too Walt.

Dave

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Walt and Dave. I think I've bought new tubing once in 6 years. Why change it so often?

Brew Labs (150.159.224.8)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i use a curved SS racking cane in the vessel i'm transferring from, slip on a piece of that crappy tubing and attach it to a straight SS racking cane and put that into the vessel i'm transferring to....no problem!

and in the middle of that crappy tubing i've spliced in an inline valve just in case i need to stop the flow in an emergency.

Ryan Larsen (216.27.223.203)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fourth Denny, Dave, and Walt.

I use the same tubing for a long time. It's stained yellow from Iodophor but still works.

I use the cheap stuff for siphoning and bottling and the heavy wall thickness stuff for gas lines.

Boiling either of them in water makes them more pliable.

Ryan

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.