Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Alternate for pitching on slurry? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeff Chapman (171.75.214.154)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the problem: The plan was to brew a brown ale sometime next week and pitch it onto the slurry from a pale ale brewed last Sunday. I have an opportunity to brew this tomorrow, but it's too early to transfer the pale ale to secondary. Would there be anything wrong with siphoning from the bottom of the pale ale into a clean carboy for the new batch? I would need to gently stir up the area I am going to siphon from. How much would I need?
Happy Holidays,
Jeff

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could use your racking cane and take off what ever is on the business end of it, plastic ones have the little cap while my SS has a SS coil to keep it up off the bottom, so you could get the end of it right down into the slurry and essentially 'vacuum' the yeast off the bottom. You'll get some pale ale along with it, but I would think if you got a good quart directly from the bottom you would be in good shape.

aquavitae (134.84.195.46)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would rack the pale, re-pitch 1/2 the slurry and pitch the brown on the remainder.

Rob F (12.154.254.158)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would rack the pale ale to secondary. Five days is not too early for that. Plenty of folks would bottle an ale after five days.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like davidw's suggestion of using a racking cane to "vacuum" the yeast sediment from the bottom of the fermenter. Commercial breweries sometimes harvest yeast sediment (this is easy with a conical fermenter) from a batch that is still fermenting. Or you can skim the kraeusen if it has not yet fallen, as is still done in a few traditional English breweries. The only real drawback is that it tends to select for the most flocculent yeast (not a problem if it's a already a flocculent strain).

aquavitae (134.84.195.46)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys really think a racking cane could be used to vacuum up a thick ole yeast cake? I bet that thing would clog faster than an Appalachian with a new pair of kickers.

Jeff Chapman (171.75.214.154)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. It's actually 2 strains of yeast. 1056 and 1098 in seperate 6.5 gl carboys. I will probably siphon off the bottom, cleaning/sanitizing the siphon between each. I don't know how to get at the kraeusen in the carboy, but would like to try that sometime.

Patrick C. (63.250.179.198)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or just pitch some good dry yeast in the brown ale and forget about it. Danstar Nottingham in place of 1056, and Safale S-04 in place of 1098.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.