Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * BW OG too low what is the best fix. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bill Aimonetti (143.183.121.1)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a BW with a friend on his system on Tuesday. We had a target OG of 1.106 and only hit 1.085. I suspect this was due to the crush but it was 5F outside and the grist was 32F when we mashed in with boiling water to get 150F so I am not sure. Anyway we pitched a big 1272 slurry from a pub and it is cranking away at 62F. What is the best way to increase the alcohol at this point. DME, honey, sugar? When should it be added?
Thanks

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add the additional fermentables soon. Boil 2.5 lbs. DME in two quarts of water for 15 minutes, chill and add to the fermenter, stirring with the long end of a sanitized spoon. Or warm 2.7 lbs. honey and do the same. Or add 2.3 lbs. white sugar. Honey and sugar will thin the body of the beer somewhat, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a big beer.

Bill Aimonetti (143.183.121.3)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill, I was thinking about trying to do this the way you have mentioned maxing out a mead. That is adding a little at a time to the secondary until the yeast can't take it. I planned to give it a year in the secondary anyway.
This recipe was designed to get max maltose from the base malt, and body and flavor from a healthy dose of speciality malts, so I am concerned that if I don't boost the alcohol and dry it out a little it will be to sweet. Do you see any issue with periodic feeding?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Myself, I'd feed it a pound of honey once a week for three weeks. That will boost the alcohol and dry the finish a little, with only a small decrease in body. That's basically the trick I use for the "imperial" version (St. Carolus) of my St. Chuck's porter recipe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.