Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Ale Pale a little blow out the airlock? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my Co #1 ales is going a little to strong on that 1056 yeast cake..It is 55 degrees ambient I should have left it at 53 because it is going crazy..I will be leaving my beer for a few days and wonder what I should do..I used to use blowoff tubes on my 5 gals glass carboys but switched to the 6.5 gal plastics and haven't had thsi problem yet.

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want beer in the airlock?
Do you want beer on the floor?

gregory gettman (209.66.128.130)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep watching it, If theres enough head space then relax and have a beer. Once you get over the 24-48 hour mark then it's all good.

For an ale at that low temp it should be fine and ferment nice and easy.

Of course that's only if it's not filled to the brim of your 6.5 gallon carboy, in that case you know the answer :)

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a little full maybe 5.5 gals...Using o2 I filled the rest with foam..Maybe I need to use some anitfoam....
Yes, I have beer in the airlock and the bucket lid was buldging some..I took off the airlock lid which only has those small holes and some might have been clogged...I will replace the airlock later tonight. I do my primary in the quess shower just in case! I use smirnoff vodka in my airlocks.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.170)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always fill my buckets with 5.5 gals of wort also and I have the same problem from time to time. Last weekend the top of one of my buckets blew off after the airlock clogged. Luckily it really didn't make a mess to speak of. The airlocks on 2 of my bucket fermenters have beer in them now, but it's mostly vodka.(that's what I fill my airlocks with). I always drill the holes out in the cap and also cut off the bottom portion of the airlock so those four little "obstructions" aren't in the way. Sometimes when the airlocks are really whistling I take them off and cover the hole with a paper towel soaked with iso alcohol until the activity slows. With fermentations like these though, I doubt that anything is needed over the the hole in the top.

gregory gettman (209.66.128.130)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also If your really worried just lift the lid and place it back on top of the bucket, but don't snap it down.

This kind of open ferment will let the pressure out but not expose the beer to too much dust and air.

works for me.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.