Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Sparge water PH ? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Keith O. (216.39.170.42)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of you brewers lower the sparge water ph from 7 down to the mid 5s? Is it really necesary?

Bill Moore (67.32.186.153)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My target is to get the ph down to a little less than 7. I don't try to get down to 5's. From what I've read, low 5's is for the mash pH not the sparge pH.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's less important if you batch sparge, but the target pH for the sparge water is 5.7-5.8. In reality between 5.0 and 6.0 is probably close enough. The reason for pH adjustment is that a pH above 6.0 at the end of the sparge when the gravity of the runoff is lowest can extract tannins and astringency into the beer.

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a quick reference for you, if it helps. Helps me a ton. Please let this work...

water pH and brewing salts

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one qualification I would make to Milan's otherwise excellent graphic reference is that adding acid (food grade lactic or phosphoric is most common) is recommended for sparge water adjustment, while salts (calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride, calcium carbonate) are recommended for mash pH adjustment. The salts have limited solubility in water and function to adjust the pH primarily by reacting with phosphorous compounds in the malt.

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill.

adjusting pH

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.