Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * My 50 qt cooler MT and its ability. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Text description

I was able to hold 24# of grain and doughed in with 6 gals water. Then I added 10 qts mash out water to bring the 154 up to 168. I only saw 164.
A little bit of mash squeezed out when I shut the lid..I then ran 1.5 gals thru to set the bed and then did a fly sparge..It appears that I dont get much channeling. So far I am happy with the screen set up and it has never moved around from stiring. the central cu pipe is held in place by the repair sleeve in the middle left that slides on the tubing providing the key that lets me remove the whole thing.

So what I am saying is only 34 qts of liquid and 24# of grain fit in this cooler.. If I wanted to do a higher gravity beer and still hit saccharification temp it would be a pain.

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's the matter ELK, don't you have a hack saw? ;)

Kent

gregory gettman (209.66.128.130)
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too many conections ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Randy McCord (216.174.177.170)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 50qt cooler and I've had 27lbs. of grain in it. I just run-off and boil some of the wort and add back to reach mashout. Works like a charm.

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That manifold cracks me up :)

Walt

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.7.221)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done 27lbs in a 48qt. I gave up on doing a mash out and haven't had any adverse effects. I just start fly sparging right away.
Belly

PaulK (68.32.217.196)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, that manifold doesn't look like it lends itself to real efficient flow patterns.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.173)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that the wort around the hose braids nearest the cooler walls would have a hard time ever making it into the center copper tubing. It would have to flow through the shorter hose braids in the center. I brought my copper tubing out to the center of the cooler and then teed out to the outsides, then used tees on each end of that with hose braids connected running the length of the cooler. It forms a big "H" in my cooler. Would post a pick but don't have the equip. or knowledge to. Anyway I got 77% eff. last weekend with it. I used to use a slotted copper manifold and in my opinion the hose braid beats the crap out of that. I get clear runoff in less than 2 qts. most of the time.

chumley (65.102.122.67)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect there are dead zones around the bar codes. Wort doesn't recognize US and international trade regulations.

Jim Layton (67.31.239.230)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one Chumley - I was thinking the same thing.

Seriously, I'm sure it works fine. So long as the extract efficiency is reasonable, consistency is what counts.

Joseph Listan (216.162.13.24)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do those stickers on the fittings cause off flavors?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.