Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Pickup Tube vs. Hosebraid < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mike Houck (24.195.115.156)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up a sanke keg and I'm gonna convert it this weekend into my new brew kettle. I'd like to get an idea of how many people use a pickup tube vs. a hosebraid setup (or bazooka tee). What are the pros/cons of each? It seems to me that a pickup tube (like I saw on Denny's website) would create a suction that would leave less wort in the kettle after draining and a hosebraid would only be able to drain the keg to the bottom elevation of the drain valve.

Mike

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Text description

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Text description
I can angle the dip tube down and leave only 1/2 gal or if I put it horz. 1 gals stays in the kettle. I only had a problem with it draining on the B-52 (because of the grain bill?)and on that batch I drained off 1 gal during the boil thinking I would sanitize my ball valve. It appeared that the hot things in the wort clogged the screen. I will not to that again now I just attach my 6" downtube and turn it up and pour in starsan for 5- 10 min while it cools.

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed the last VS..
vs false bottom, which is what i use...

Walt

don price (65.32.41.166)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

I use a tube/hose braid combo similar to ELK. It looks like ELK has the opening at a point above the bottom of the kettle which leaves excess wort behind. However, positioning the tube opening near the perimeter of the the kettle allows for using the whirlpool effect to drop most of the trub and crap at the center of the kettle. Your choice - wort recovery efficiency or less hop clogging gunk.

Hint - use some leaf hops to avoid the nearly perfect screen clogging effect, caused by pellet hops, illustrated in ELK's photo above. I'm not knocking the design, it's what I use, but it works better with a couple ounces of whole hops to serve as a filter bed above the mesh.

Don

Streb (69.3.11.91)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also just use an elbow and with a copper scrubby or a SS Chore Boy. That works pretty well too and is easy.

Cheers!

Rob

Jim Gibbs (63.154.44.5)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, what Rob said. This works well even if your outta pantyhose and throw in a handful of hop pellets.My wort come out quite clear and I only leave about 1 1/2 quarts behind.

robert rulmyr (63.156.128.5)
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dip tube to bottom center of Sabco. I get all that trub into the fermenters with no ill effects. I used to really worry about trub and hops in the fermenter.

WacoBob

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My kettle drain is as Streb describes, a copper elbow with a copper scrubbie attached with a hose clamp. I whirlpool the wort at the end of the boil and let the trub settle in a pile in the center of the keg bottom. I use hop bags for pellets but not for whole hops. About 1.5 quarts of trub and break material is left in the bottom after counterflow chilling.

danno (63.224.226.20)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a big fan of the false bottom method. It leaves about one ounce of wort behind and whatever the hops hold onto. Real easy to clean as well. Its not any different in theory than Bill's scrubbie method. Here's a few false bottom setup photos.

Hey ELK, nice reflection in the picture! Good thing you were wearing clothes (anybody remember that Ebay tea kettle photo?). You clean your kettle too well!

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your advice! Since my homebrewing equipment budget is about maxed out for a while, I think I am going to go the cheap and easy route for now and try the copper elbow and scrubbie. I do like the false bottom setup though - maybe next year. By the way, I drilled the keg, installed the ball valve and gave it a test run with H2O today on my new Sabco/King Cooker burner. I don't know what I waited so long for! 8 gallons from 110 degrees to a boil in 30 minutes in 25 degree weather! For the last two years I've been doing 2 pots on the stove. Next weekend will be the first batch on the new setup. Thanks again.

Mike

PaulK (68.32.217.196)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got tired of clogged scrubbies on the end of my pickup tube so I just let it rip with no filtering device. I figure anything that wants to go into my fermenter is welcome. Hasn't affected the quality of my brews and it's one less thing to worry about.

Chuck Denofrio (64.135.203.46)
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, Thats my plan, no elbows or screens. Like Bill,I use hose to bag hops. When you reach the bottom, prop up the kettle and end up leaving maybe a pint.

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul - I hear you. For the two years I have been boiling in two pots on the stove, I have only gotten out as many hops as I could with a SS strainer and everything else went into the fermentor. I'm thinking I might go with the 90 degree elbow and a short, 4" -5" piece of hosebraid off to the side though. If the hosebraid doesn't clog in my mashtun, I can't imagine whole hops would clog it in the kettle.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.179)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a 3/8" copper tubing dip tube going to the bottom center of kettle. I drilled a hole in another piece of tubing and soldered the dip tube into it to form a tee. On the bottom I drilled a bunch of 3/32" holes. I leave a very small amount of wort in the kettle, most being soaked up in the whole hops.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.