Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Liquid Yeast Through The Mail < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Randy McCord (216.174.177.173)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How risky is it getting yeast via mail order in the freezing outside temps? The LHBS near me doesn't have much variety in liquid yeast and I'm planning on ordering some from G+G but I'm afraid of it freezing. Anyone have this trouble?

chumley (65.102.122.67)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. I live in Montana, no LHBS, order yeast all the time mail order, the only time I don't order is when we have one of those -20°F high pressure systems that come in for a week. Thanks to Al Gore, they no longer come, so ordering mail order in the lower 48 is good to go until we all fry and die.

I have never had a bad batch of mail order liquid yeast yet. Order away!

Randy McCord (216.174.177.179)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks chumley. Al Gore?

chumley (65.102.122.67)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He (besides inventing the internet) invented global warming. That is why there is no %$#@(*&^ ice for me to fish on.
a bitter chumley

Bob B (24.65.49.219)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live north of Chumley. Some of the brew club members ended up with frozen yeast recently when it only got up to -18C (0F) and the carrier "left the package at the door".

If you are concerned about freezing and it looks like an Alberta clipper is headed your way, ask G&G if they can mark the package "hold for pickup" or "signature required". Another option if your company allows it, is to have the yeast delivered at work.

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I mentioned in another post that we here in S. IL only get to ice fish about 2 to 3 weeks out of the year if we're lucky. If we get 3" of ice, we're on it. It can be a little spooky at times. We mostly get blue gill and crappie with an occasional channel cat or bass. You guys probably pull the big ones out in your neck of the woods.

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries there Bob. Wife is home at day care business. Thanks.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless you have a really cold snap (24 hours or longer below 0 F) freezing of liquid yeast during shipment is not a problem. If you order liquid yeast in the winter, ask the supplier to wrap the yeast in a little extra insulation. For hot weather delivery, many suppliers will wrap yeast in a gel ice pack for an extra dollar or so.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

< looks like an Alberta clipper is headed your way

I thought that Saskatchewan Screamers are the colder of the two. Learnt something new. :)

PTA

Bob B (24.65.49.219)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PTA,

When I lived in Ohio, they would call fast moving winter cold fronts, "Alberta Clippers". I think it had to do with the track of the jetstream. I suspect in Wisconsin, the jetstream would push the cold out of Saskatchewan

Actually weather has been nice the past week and this week, above freezing. Warm enough to brew outside.

Mike Mayer (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Warm enough to brew outside"

Is there anywhere that is actually too cold to brew outside????

Mike (Born and raised in Wisconsin, currently in Ohio)

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's called the Montreal clipper, the Saskatchewan clipper and the Alberta clipper in various places I've lived in the US. Now that I'm a Canadian resident, I heard someone call it the Hudson Bay clipper. Whatever, it's the same thing, that rush of cold polar high pressure that brings down the temperature quickly on a strong northwest wind. Actually, today here in southern Ontario it was 47 F, but the odds of a white Christmas seem very good judging from the forecast.

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I suspect in Wisconsin

Alberta Clipper is the only thing I've heard it called.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, for one, am happy to see that Bill Pierce is still using the Fahrenheit scale.

In Montana, we call it an arctic cold front. It is one of the few weather phenomena that the meathead local TV forecasters can predict with any sense of accuracy.

Because of the orientations of the Rocky Mountains where I live, it usually comes from the northeast. Several times I have been icefishing when it first moves in. After 2 minutes, you know whats happening, then its time to reel in the lines and head home to drink some homebrew.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.