Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 12, 2004 * Fermentation lock problem? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

walter (162.129.227.254)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I woke up this morning and found that my fermentation lock was overflowing with beer and was going crazy. I have never, never had this problem before as I use a 7.5 gallon primary. So I took off the lock and put together a sort of blow-off tube after soaking it in a dilute bleach solution. I'm a little worried about the batch being contaminated now.

Any advice? Anyone had this problem before? Thanks.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RDWHAHB. You shouldn't have any problem. Using a blowoff tube for the first couple of days with a high gravity fermentation and/or certain yeast strains is not a bad idea.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the bad nasties would need to swim up stream to get to your beer.

-Doug

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Anyone had this problem before?"...EVERYONE'S had this happen before..it is not a problem.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a stout that was overflowing the air lock. When I loosened the air lock to clean it, some angry beer tried to escape, some made it out - onto the ceiling, the carpet, the walls, on me. The best part - I was leaving to go to a baseball game and didn't have time to clean it up. I left a note for my wife to clean it up. I named it Painted Ceiling/Almost Divorce Stout. It was a fantastic stout.

PTA

walter (162.129.98.128)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny, my batch is also a stout. OG was around 1.051. Used White Labs Irish Ale yeast. In fact I made the same recipe about two years ago and nothing like this happened. I wonder if it's just 'bad luck'?

Of course I realize that this has happened to others...that's why I posted. Mainly to hear other people's stories and not to feel so discouraged.

Marlon Lang (68.218.224.78)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter, this is one of those thing that WILL happen to everyone. (You know, not an IF, a WHEN) For example, I'm doctoring a Belgian with doses of sugar every other day. The yeast just loves one more quart of 1.50(!). Twelve hours after each addition, I have to clean the airlock. And this is in a 6 gallon carboy with 1 gallon of head space. RDWHAHB and just clean the air lock when it looks crudy.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.135)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At least you didn't blow off the top. Last weekend the lid of one of my primaries blew off. Wow, I have a hard enough time getting the lid off, there must've been some serious pressure in there. Next time the airlock will be fitted a little more loosely.

Jeremy S (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found out the hard way thata HG wort and 1084 Irish Ale yeast like to blow up on you...and I only had 1/2 gallon headspace!

robert rulmyr (63.156.116.28)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I leave the lid of my bucket loose for the first 2 days. No more messes, no worries for me anyway.

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.113.90)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I consider an airlock fountain to be a brewing trophy of sorts. I had one blow the bung right out hard enough to send spooge all over the ceiling. WOOHOO!!!!

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohh yea.. Ive had ceiling decorations too :)
Blew once all over the wall n ceiling.. stuck the lock back on.. cleaned it all up.. was looking for the blowwoff tube, and it blew again!
hehe

Walt

Dave Witt (172.131.161.107)
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just recently brewed 10 gal of Denny's Rye IPA and one of the carboy caps blew off, even though I used foam control, w/5 gal in 6 gal carboys. Its no big deal.

Dan Mossman (171.75.169.139)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It must be something in the stout. I had an Irish blow up while I was at work. When I came home, the cap and stopper/big piece was on the floor, and the hat/piece was at the other end of the room in several shattered parts. Foam was everywhere (and some is still on the ceiling). I'm kinda glad I wasn't home at the time, but it would have been quite a show to watch. Thank God the carboy didn't crack open. Hehehe

---Brew it up! (With a blowoff...)
-Dan

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.