Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Sabco kettle users..... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Brew Labs (150.159.224.8)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so i got my new kettle home and did some volume testing.

i figured out that if i let the kettle drain without a pick up tube that i will leave behind 2 gals of wort. i actually think this is good because i will leave behind a good amount of sediment. so i decided to adjust my recipes to account for this 2 gals.

what do you guys do? drain out the whole thing? leave it behind?

also, what kind of boil off do you get? i know it depends on how strong your burner is, but what are you guys getting? about 1 gallon per hour?

putting all of this into perspective, i'm figuring i'll need about 8.5 gallons boil volume to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter (given the considerations above) for a 60 min boil...and about 9 gallons for a 90 minute boil. sound right?

Wykowski (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a 2gal loss at the bottom of the kettle is unacceptable (you would have to increase your ingredients by like 40% to end up with 5 gals)

I made a pick up tube in and out for a couple bucks with bendable copper coil and some compression fittings

Jim Layton (209.245.237.48)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I boil in a Sabco kettle. I've made and use a couple of different pickup tube designs, depends on whether I'm using pellet or whole hops.

Yep, 2 gallons is an excessive loss. You can probably reduce that just by tilting the kettle when you drain.

The pickup tube that I use with pellet hops leaves about a gallon behind. That bothers me a little but I'm willing to live with it.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A pickup tube is easy to build. Why would you willingly leave 2 gallons behind?

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like the others say, that's way too much loss. My pickup tube leaves a cup or 2 behind.

danno (63.224.226.20)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the greatest features of a converted keg is the rounded bottom that collects all of that precious wort in one area for transfer to your fermenter. GET A PICK-UP TUBE! Use a false bottom or scrubbie to filter the hops out.

jim williams (68.0.214.107)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

buy the false bottom and pick up tube from Sabco. they are really amazing and will leave a couple tablespoons max in the bottom of the kettle. the screen filters out whole hops and leaves clear wort. Pellets are a bit of a problem with this though, and if I'm using pellets, which is rare, I always incorporate at least 1 oz. of whole to help filter out the pellets.

Buy it once, do it right, and be done with it! the sabco kettle is the best life time investment in a kettle you can get, imho.

Jim

danno (63.224.226.20)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the Sabco drain tube and FB will set you back another $160. Go to B3 and get the same functionality for only $20 plus the cost of the home made copper dip tube.

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or use a bent piece of copper tubing and compression fitting like mine for less than $5.

Ed Jones (65.60.139.114)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a Boozaka T screen in my kettle with a dip tube. I leave behind a few cups. Since I use only whole-leaf hops they provide all the filtering I need.

As for boil-off, I boil off about 1.5 gallons per hour.

Ed

Brew Labs (150.159.224.8)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so....you are saying that i should get a pick up tube ?!?!

j/k :)

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, we all think you should throw away 2 gal. of wort every time you brew! :)

Mike Mayer (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SABCO pickup tube is a total waste of money!!! I made my own out of copper tubing and it leaves less wort behind, and it is actually centered within the kettle.

Mike

Randy McCord (216.174.177.135)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Build your own out of tubing as mentioned above. I probably spill more in a day than what mine leaves behind. Very little.

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I probably spill more in a day "

Shame on you!

MJR (24.217.160.206)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a Sabco kettle with their false bottom and pick-up tube. If you don't have their false bottom, go buy it...right now! You can either buy their pick-up tube or make your own. Regardless, if you're using that kettle without these two pieces of equipment, you're not utilizing all that the kettle has to offer.

Leaving that much wort behind is a complete waste. Like a few others have mentioned, the Sabco system leaves only a few tablespoons of wort behind, and the run-off is quite clear. The false bottom does a fantastic job of filtering everything out.

-Mark

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.