Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Source for mash stirring motor < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Swede (68.228.96.34)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Planning to add a herms and a stirring device to my mash......any inputs as to what (type) motor to use for the stirrer.....I guess I would want a high-torque, slow (10rpm or so) mixing of the mash....??

Thanks

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.110.4)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try an ice cream maker motor

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coincidentally, Bill Tobler posted this link on the digest today:

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/mix.htm

Jack Corrozi (192.195.217.10)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any HSA issues to worry about with something like that?

Chuck Denofrio (64.135.203.89)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swede, with the HERMS I don't see what you will gain by stiring. I have run 4 temp read outs in the mash and can see no reason to stir. The reason for stiring is because of direct heating of the kettle. Maybe I'm missing something.
Chuck

Jeff Chapman (171.75.225.185)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Built that mixer about a year ago. It packed the grain to the bottom around my bazooka screen and choked off the flow to my HERM's. I am looking for a different design for the blade that stirs the grain instead of pushing it down. If anyone has one let me know. A picture would be great.

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, mine was commercially built, but it's just a rotisserie (sp) motor. Here is a link to some pic's. The first page has a picture of the stirrer, you can see the motor if you click on the "Inaugural Brew Session" link on the top of the page.

My Brewery

Swede (159.178.52.222)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input....
the rationale for wanting the mash to be stirred is that in my mash tun (converted 15 gal keg) I get very high variations in temperature (4-5 degrees C), and I dont really see how this would even out simply by using a HERMS.

Thanks!

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find that a HERMS eliminates most of the thermal layering in the mash tun. The recirculating liquid diffuses well throughout the mash; there may be about a 1 degree C difference between the top and bottom, which I consider more than acceptable.

The better choice for a HERMS is a stirrer for the HLT. This makes the heat exchanging properties of the recirculation coil more efficient, just as it does with an immersion chiller. I do not have a motor in the HLT for my HERMS, but I do give the hot water a stir with a paddle every few minutes during recirculation.

Jeff Chapman (171.75.225.247)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice brewery Mike. Looks like you drain out of your mashtun under the false bottom. I use a pickup tube down to a Bazooka T. The blade will need to be above that. I may need to have it fabricated to fit my situation.

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a link to an article from Brewing Techniques (Nov/Dec 1994) on a mash mixer.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.6/index.html

You can buy surplus gear motors from http://www.herbach.com

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, you are correct. Also the bottom blades are about 1/16 of an inch off the FB lifting the grains up as it turns. You might want to bend your pickup tube immediately and snake along the bottom, that would get your stirrer down lower, but not to the edge. Then you could put a second stirrer higher (above the pickup) that goes all the way out to the edge of the sanke.

Jeff Chapman (171.75.205.27)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a new manifold for the return from the HERM's coil last weekend. My current setup has a tube just draining into the center of the mashtun on top of the grain. The temperature variance is significant from side to side. I am hoping the new manifold will eliminate the need for a mixer. If this does not work, the new blade will be made shortly. I like Bill's idea of putting the mixer in the HLT to keep the water moving against the coil. Would have to reconfigure the coil to make room for it though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.