Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Gluten in beer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Andy Bracciano (24.124.102.181)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I haven't posted to this board in a while and of course, have forgotten how to do a proper search. So, if you don't mind me maybe repeating a question that has been answered, I would appreciate it. A friend of mine has just learned that she has a genetic condition where she cannot process gluten. Well, this then leaves her out of drinking beer since barley also contains gluten.

My question is, does anyone know of a mass produced beer that does not contain barley or other cereals that would contain gluten? I appreciate your time and forgive me if this question has been answered before. Thanks.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sake

Steve Pierson (206.207.78.210)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about hard ciders? I have sampled several commercial examples that are tasty. I could make do with hard cider if I couldn't drink beer. Don't know of any mass produced gluten free beers - but some home brewers make such a beverage.

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister-in-law told me she was celiac, and asked me to brew her a gluten-free beer. I told her to drink wine. It'll be a cold day in he!l before I start brewing any barley-free beer.

Mark McAvoy (128.252.241.177)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do a google search on gluten free brewing you'll find some references. In short, there are several grains and legumes that are gluten free (eg sorghum, millet and buckwheat) and probably available at your local coop or health food store. Of course, you'll need to malt them yourself. So buy just a pound at first, to make sure the germ is viable. Rice syrup solids are supposed to be very good also. If you were possibly a malster in a former life, this may be fun for you. I think I was, and malt quite a bit of organic hard red wheat, but alas wheat is not gluten free.

Andy Bracciano (24.124.102.181)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys....I'll let her know what is out there. I appreciate it.

David Woods (65.234.17.80)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,
The local brewery to me is Ramapo Valley Brewery in Suffern, NY (NAYYY) The new brewer supposedly only brews gluten free beer.

www.ramapovalleybrewery.com

Maybe this will help.

David

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.