Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Dry Stout < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jack Corrozi (192.195.217.10)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm brewing a dry stout, to be served via nitro. Mostly for the wife, but I enjoy one like that once in a while myself. I never have ventured into this particular style before.
I was thinking that simple is best for a beer like this.

Pale malt 60%
Roasted Barley 10%
Flaked Barkey 30%

Northern brewer for bittering.

Infusion mashed at 150

Sound okay?
Any suggestions?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The classic Guinness recipe includes 65 percent pale malt, 25 percent flaked barley and 10 percent roast barley. The O.G. is 1.038 and it is bittered to 37 IBUs with Bullion hops. That doesn't mean you can't do otherwise with your stout. The slightly greater percentage of flaked barley would give your recipe a little more body. I think Northern Brewer would be a perfectly good bittering hop.

chumley (65.102.122.168)
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good to me. I always have to add some CaCO3 to my mash when I brew dark beers because I have very soft water. But that shouldn't be a problem for you, Jack - you get your water straight out of the Schuykill, right? :)

Jack Corrozi (192.195.217.10)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. The Delaware, I prefer lead and mercury to the slime of the Schuylkill.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.