Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Visiting Oregon, requesting pointers < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SWMBO and I are heading up to Corvallis, Oregon for a few days. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to good brewpubs and restaurants in general. We plan to make a day trip to Portland, and I have a fair idea of where to drink there, but how about food? Of course we'll also be pretty close to Newport, so we'll head over there and get some Rogue product at the source.

TIA,
Kent

matt_dinges (67.31.177.215)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't sound like its possible, but I'd make Portland my base.

A day trip should include stops at John's Marketplace to stock up on offsale...if you are flying you will have to pick carefully. Other offsale would be Belmont Station, adjacent to Horse Brass pub.

Hair of the Dog is my favorite brewery visit, possibly of all time, but it can be a tough place to find. Get a good map and follow your instincts. Alan told me he stopped giving directions over the phone, but I suppose you could try.

Visit Laurelwood brewpub, decnt menu as well. I like to lunch there when in town. In the Hollywood district, I would consider it in the vacinity of Belmont/Horsebrass.

Higgins restaurant in downtown Portland has reputedly great food(house cured meats I think) and a great list of beers(including, my favorite, Belgian beers). I can't personally recomend it b/c I've never been into it...long stories...everybody says "GO THERE" and I haven't...so please go there and have a drink for me...

In downtown Portland, the best short list of Belgian beers goes to Stumptown Coffee...adress escapes me now...Dan might know. If you visit Tugboat, try the Chernobyl(sp?) stout...deadly drinability at a procalimed 13%ABV.

Can't comment on the Corvallis scene...Newport is good, on your way take a detour and visit Siletz.

And don't forget Eugene...I might opt for the day trip there instead of Portland...shorter drive, good beer scene...like Rome, only a day in Portland seems to leave out a lot, beerwise at least.

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's Oregon Trails and Oregon Trader brew pubs in Albany, next city over from Corvallis. I'm sure there's a McMennamin's in Corvallis but who cares about MCM's? That's all I know abotu Corvallis.

Eugene and Portland are about the same distance from Corvallis in opposite directions. Both have great beer. Foodwise, Laurelwood is great for the budget minded. Excellent food at reasonable prices. The beer is top notch as well. They have some fantastic big beers on tap that will run out soon (just had a tasting of commercial beers at a buddy's house with one of the brewers from Laurelwood last night).

Higgins? Food doesn't get any better than that in any city in the world. Yep. Its priced accordingly. Portland is well know for fine dining to go with its beers. Matt, I just heard about Stumptown the other day. Definitely on my list to try.

Other than Laurelwood, the must hit breweries are Widmer (taste all of their colaborator beers) and the Pilsner room (Full Sail) on the waterfront. Bridgeport and Portland Brewing are good stops as well.

chumley (63.227.169.156)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>Visiting Oregon, requesting pointers

Beware that 90% of the beers are over hopped...balance means nothing to these people. :)

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt and Danno, thanks! We're visiting family in Corvallis, driving up from So Cal. So Portland is at most a long one day visit, there's only so much brewpub and brewery exploring that SWMBO will tolerate.

I DO have to bring back some bottles to my club, so where do you think I can get the most bang for my brew buck?

That's OK Chumley, I tend to be guilty of that myself, at times!

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The biggest bang for your buck is the Horse Brass and Belmont Station combo. The sit next to each other in Se Portland. The Horse Brass in an English style pub with more craft beers on tap than you can shake a stick at. Belmont Station offers a hundred odd bottle beers for your take-out pleasure. Have a few beers, buy a few and then go to Laurelwood to eat. Laurelwood is about 2 miles from the Horse Brass

Travis Adams (12.224.168.202)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the horse brass serves imperial pints of hair of the dog Fred - you only need one!
Travis

Marlon Lang (68.18.100.122)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Corvallis, "Bombs Away" cafe for food, and "Squirrel's" for beers on tap. The "Fox and Firkin" and "Old River" are brew-pubs but tend toward the yuppie/tourist side.

craig white (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dont eat a steak from washington lol

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just cruizing Corvallis home brewing supply (http://www.brewbeer.cc/). Apparently, they are right next door to a craft beer & wine shop.

matt_dinges (65.221.169.187)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan

When I was up there in Aug. Stumptown had La Chouffe and an Elysian belgian on tap as well as a good list of bottles.

Was that Chad or Christian you drank with? Chad gave me a tour of the place in Aug as well.

Have a good trip, Kent!

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt, it was Chad. He's a former Board member on the Brew Crew and has been working for Christian for a while now.

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt, it was Chad. He's a former Board member on the Brew Crew and has been working for Christian for a while now.

David C Johnson (67.2.47.36)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Oregon Trail is still brewed at or near the Old World Deli in Corvallis. That was my first real beer when I was at OSU. American Dream Pizza (near Bombs Away)was my staple food and beverage place since it was close to the ol' frat house. Clodfelters was always good for a burger at a college town price.

Check out Pub Crawler and Oregon Brewers Guild for names and places. Lucky Lab, Bridgeport, Full Sail, Mt Hood (a ways out from Portland), Liquid Solutions on the West side in Beaverton (search website). McMenamins has most of their operations in Portland but I would make the drive out to Edgefield Bed and Breakfast to see their winery, distillery and brewery. What McMs does is beyond beer.

I would list more but you'd need more time.

As for finding a "balanced beer" as mentioned above. No, you won't find one, but you will find beer mecca in Portland. Variety is aplenty in P Town. Might as well check out suppliers and brew equipment while you're here.

Overhopped? What does that mean anyway?;)
Dave

danno (63.224.229.154)
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oregon Trail brewery is the one at the Old World Deli. OTB is primarily owned by Dave Wills of FresHops.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.