Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 12, 2004 * Steeping "FWH" results < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I asked in an earlier post what effect would steeping your SG and some bittering hops together, well I found out today. Bottled my Amber Ale tonight and had 1/2 a bottle left over so I drank it...the result is that I may have to rename my beer Bitter Tears Amber. I have a very bad cold and even with it I can taste the hop bitterness. Hope the bitterness will blend a little more in the bottle, but it does work. Is the bitterness all that you are looking for with a traditional FWH?

Fredrik (213.114.44.219)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Is the bitterness all that you are looking for with a traditional FWH?

I don't think so? I've used only FWH so far in all brews because I think it's easier and I was recommended it when reading Fix book. From reading Fix book it seems that there are at least a few theoretical differences with FWH.

1) A slight higher degree of utilization, due to a higher degree of isomerization -> higher bitternes level.

2) A lower iso-cohumlone level with wich gives a rounder less harsch bitterness.

3) The hop-oil spectrum is said to be reduced in oxygen-bearing hopoils which sometimes seems good.

So far I've only done FWH with mainly Saaz hops each time and I've got nice massive hop aroma without excessive hop bitterness.

I am thinking of doing a simple hop-tea experiment later, so you don't have to use full scale batches.

/Fredrik

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Is the bitterness all that you are looking for
> with a traditional FWH?

FWH is *NOT* for bitterness. It's for flavor - and specifically - a less harsh flavor.

Wykowski (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for an extract beer you'd be better off just using a standard 15 min. addition for flavor

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWH'ing is all about flavour.

Jim Layton (4.72.23.38)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never believed that FWH provided less bitterness than a full boil hop addition. That notion is counter intuitive and it doesn't match my tasting impressions on the beers I've tried it in. It is a smooth bitterness, yes, but smoother or less bitter than a 90 minute boil? I don't think there's much difference.

I found something interesting the other day in "An Analysis of Brewing Techniques" by Fix and Fix. In Table 1.24, they show kettle utilization rates for these conditions: wort gravity 1.048, post boil steep time 20 minutes, whole hops.

First wort, 30%
60 minutes, 26%
45 minutes, 24%
30 minutes, 20%
15 minutes, 10%

The authors don't provide much in the way of detail for how they came up with these values but they look reasonable to me. Apparently George Fix himself was convinced that FWH provided a full measure of bitterness.

Jeremy S (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a FWH is usually done with low alpha hops? I did this with Cascade @ 5.9% AA...too high?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not strictly the alpha acid content of hops that dictate their suitability for FWH. It's a matter of which varieties have the best flavor contribution. Some of the newer high alpha varieties have quite a bit of flavor and would be suitable. As for Cascades, I wouldn't have any problem using them as FWH in an APA. Even Centennial would work.

Randy McCord (216.174.177.137)
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started FWHing about 5 batches ago and I love it. It really surprised me with the flavor contribution. I calculated the bitterness as a 20 min. boil, but I think it must be more than that because my last batch or two came out a little more bitter than what I expected. I'm experimenting with this more and more and I think my next batch will come out right where I want it as far as bitterness goes. FWH is great in my opinion, it's one less time I have to look at the clock and think hmmm.

Dave Witt (172.131.161.107)
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to get a higher level of spiciness from FWH, especially noble varieties.

Jeremy S (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tasted a bottle after 3 days and it is already mellowing out. Has a slight citrus finish and a piney nose (remember I am just getting over a cold) and the head stays till the bottom of the glass. Slight carbonation now. I think this will be fairly decent by 12/31, still tastes a bit green tho.

jim williams (68.0.214.107)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone know what value Promash puts on FWH in terms of bitterness?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.