Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 9, 2004 * Priming old dopple bock? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

gregory gettman (209.66.128.130)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Dopplebock that's been lagering 3 months now and is ready for bottles. The trick is I will have to add more yeast with the priming agent.

There are two ways I can do this and was wondering if the collective could offer their opinion?

#1 use dry nottingham and condition in the cellar. This strain is very clean and lager like the only problem is the packs I have are out of date EXP. 2000. Although I have used them in a pinch and they work well.

#2 I have the bock lager strain which can be cultured up and used, that way its the same yeast. Of course this would mean longer aging and perhaps even a second lagering?

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the dry idea just because it will take less effort........

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think two packs of rehydrated Nottingham will do the job, even if they are out of date (assuming they have not been mishandled).

chumley (65.102.120.89)
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another vote for the Nottingham.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.