Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 12, 2004 * Sankey keg and tri clover fittings < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Tackmann (12.221.37.240)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

has any one using a sankey keg for there brew setup ever used tri-clover fittings to attach to there sankey fitting ( if the keg is upside down and the top is now the bottom) i measured the opening and its 2 1/2

Ralph Diamond (142.177.188.84)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tri clover fittings may very well fit. in any event a sanitary union should certainly weld nicely there. an opening would still need to be cut for cleaning. the only reason you dont see this board praising them the way the dairy industry does is they are very expensive.

Steven (198.81.26.14)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most systems I've seen that have a bottom center outlet have it on the mash tun where IMO sanitary fittings are a waste of time and money.

Steve

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read posts by Dan Listerman on the RCB about using TriClover connections to sankes. He "knows a guy" who uses a TriClover to clamp a reflux column onto a keg.

Kent

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The deluxe pickup tube for the Sabco false bottom has a Tri-Clover fitting that makes it easy to disassemble but is expensive and overkill. You get a lot more bang for the buck by using a copper plumbing union.

As Ralph says, Tri-Clover fittings are widely used in the food processing and pharmaceutical industries and in many commercial breweries. They are rated as sanitary and, as mentioned, easy to disassemble and clean. The drawback is the price and the need to weld the fittings (sanitary welds are recommended). You can often find Tri-Clover fittings on eBay, but putting together an entire brewing system with them is a major project that requires a lot of welding. It's really not necessary unless you have a large budget and are building an all-stainless showplace system. The beer will not be any better. Sanitary fittings are desirable in fermenters but otherwise far from a requirement.

Paul Tackmann (216.166.251.180)
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK thanks for the info, i know there pricy I just observed the fitting looked much like a 2 1/2 sanitary fitting, Im just looking for a low labor intesive no weld fitting for a sankey opening (without the stem in it) that would take it to a 3/4 or 1/2 npt system, since thats the size of my pump fittings. and on a side note has any one ever used grove and cam quick disconnects?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.