Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 12, 2004 * Biscuit vs. Victory Malt < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chris Smedley (67.85.187.13)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit confused on the actual differences between Victory and Biscuit. Can the difference in flavor be easily discerned? Do they both need mashing? Thanks for any info.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victory is Briess Malting's name for their version of Belgian biscuit malt. Both are basically the same color and will contribute a somewhat bready, light toasty flavor to beer. There are subtle differences that can be noticed by steeping a small amount of each malt in a cup of hot water or by merely cracking a kernel in your teeth. They are both produced much like crystal malt and can be steeped.

Harwich Hall Of Fame (208.59.33.27)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so victory is american biscuit?

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In a word, yes, HHoF.

Briess also makes a darker (50L) version of biscuit malt called "special roast" (not to be confused with "Special Briess" which is their version of Special B) that has one of the most wonderful aromas of any malt I can think of. It smells like a barrel of cookies in an old fashioned general store and would be very appropriate in a winter warmer or brown ale.

Chris Smedley (67.85.187.13)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... in reference to steeping vs. mashing, I asked around a little more and was told by others that Victory/Biscuit needs to be mashed. Is it a matter of just being slightly more contributive when mashed or will I wind up with unconverted starches if I try to steep?

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are varying opinions about whether biscuit or Victory malt needs to be steeped. My own is that it's all right for steeping (but I recommend mashing aromatic malt). Biscuit malt is produced much like crystal/caramel malt and most of the starches are already "preconverted" in the malting process.

Here is more information. John Palmer recommends that it be mashed. You can form your own opinion.

http://www.briessmalting.com/pdf%20files/victory.pdf

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

Marlon Lang (68.18.121.30)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HHoF?
Harley Hall of Fame?
Hairy Hogs of Falmouth?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.