Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Januray 20, 2004 * Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

JimTanguay (67.5.121.0)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK so for the New Year I smacked a xl pack of this before work. 13 hours later I'm home and it's swelled up nicely so I just made a 20oz starter which I'll pitch into a gallon before Sunday or Monday Brew day.. What do I brew? I was thinking something lighter, crisp and refreshing to start with. something the wife will like and at the same time building me a nice yeast cake to pitch a couple more batches on... What you got?

I'll check back in the morning....I'm off to bed

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wyeast 2308 is a good strain for malty lagers, though I prefer Wyeast 2206 because it's less finicky. The 2308 tends to produce a lot of sulfur early on and it doesn't do well if you don't pitch a large enough starter. Also be sure to do a diacetyl rest.

JimTanguay (206.63.252.209)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would a gallon starter be big enough then for 10 gallons at around 1.050? or should I try to step it up one more time? Do you think I would have enough time too by Monday? Starter I made last night is showing lots of activity this morning. How soon before I can step it up?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think a 1 gallon starter should be adequate (but certainly not excessive for a lager) for 10 gallons of 1.050 wort. In general I give starters 48 hours between steps or before pitching, but the reality is that I have has successful fermentations after anywhere from 10 to 96 hours.

chumley (216.161.217.188)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the stinkiest strain of yeast I have ever brewed with, so keep your primary away from your wife's nostrils, otherwise she will complain that the house smells like a frat house on Sunday morning. :)

What to brew? Why a helles, of course. Aim for a 1.045 OG, 95% Euro-pils malt, 5% carapils/light crystal (<10°L), 20-30 IBUs of imported Mittelfrueh or Tettnanger, or combination thereof. 1/8 - 1/4 oz. (per 5 gals) of same hops during the last 10-15 minutes of the boil, and you're there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.