Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Januray 20, 2004 * Sam Adams Cream Stout clone anyone??? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Beckerdite (12.218.114.253)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the subject title says I'd like a clone recipe of the Sam Adams Cream Stout if anyone has one if not what should I shoot for in srm's, ibu's?

aleman (207.109.230.197)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.samadams.com/beer/styles/cream_stout-process.html

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Aleman beers to you!

I have a clone for Sam Adams Lager all I have to do now is find the base grains and I'll be able to formulate a clone for the Cream Stout.
I drank a six of it last week and noticed a residule yeast in the bottle so I'm cooking me up a starter to culture that bad boy.

Thanks again!
Dave B.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking for an all-grain or extract recipe? And have you looked at the Sam Adams website: http://www.samadams.com/beer/styles/cream_stout.html

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is also a recipe (all-grain, partial mash, extract) for Samuel Adams Cream Stout in Beer Captured by Tess and Mark Szamatulski.

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bill! How you been?

I am looking for an all-grain recipe and yes I have looked at the website. I am confused as to the base malts in the write up on the website. They say they use malted wheat and I'm wondering at what ratio; 60/40, 70/30, 80/20? And what is the other base? Is it 2-row? American? English? Bries? To many questions I guess.
Also I have heard that the recipe in Beer Captured isn't even close to taste. But I am going on hearsay since I've never brewed it myself.

Any way, thanks for the help.
Dave B.

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, the all-grain recipe in Beer Captured lists the grain bill as 72 percent British two-row pale malt, 11 percent malted wheat, 7 percent crystal 60L, 5.5 percent chocolate malt and 4.5 percent roast barley. Convert in a single infusion mash at 156 F for 90 minutes. The extract version calls for 1 lb. malto-dextrin per 5 gallons at the end of the boil; I would use 8 oz. in the all-grain version. The post-boil target O.G. is 1.054. Bitter with Goldings and Fuggles to 26 IBUs and add 1/4 oz. Goldings per 5 gallons in the last 15 minutes. The recommended yeast strain is Wyeast 1956.

In general, I think the Clone Brews and Beer Captured recipes are very good, though I have not brewed this one. There are also some questions about the Belgian recipes in the books, which is to be expected. I consider them a good starting point for recipe formulation and an excellent companion to Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers, which is invaluable but does not have a single recipe.

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Bill!
I like being able to call upon the wealth of information that is available on this board. I will copy the info you have given me and tweek it a little and give it a shot.
What do you think of the idea of culturing the residule yeast from a bottle of Sam Adams to use in my recipe? Do you think a cultured yeast strain from a bottle sediment will effect the flavor of my Cream Stout clone?

David B.

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh by the way, The Sam Adams site states that they use Saaz hops as well as East Kent Goldings and Fuggles so I guess I'll have to play with it to see how close I can get.

GaryP6 (129.8.211.146)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently had a pint of Sam Adams Cream Stout and I would say the Beer Captured recipe is no longer current.

The Sam Adams website says this, "Samuel Adams Cream Stout is brewed with generous quantities of heavily roasted chocolate malts, roasted unmalted barley, caramel malts, and malted wheat."

I think this beer has a very strong roasted flavor. I don't know what "heavily roast chocolate malt" is but I would almost guess there was some black patent in the mix. It has a big roasty bite to it.

I think the Beer Captured recipe would make a better stout though!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.