Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Januray 20, 2004 * CAMRA IPA book < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

cheesehead (134.84.5.46)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got the CAMRA book Homebrew Classics: India Pale Ale.

Anyone else have this or made any of the recipes from the book?

The book has a lot of interesting history. It has nearly 30 historical recipes.

According to the book, IPAs originally were made with only pale malt and maybe some brewing sugar plus a lot of 5% alpha goldings, sometimes up to 10 oz (or more), for bittering.

So, what you had was a very lightly colored beer, not the amber beers that many IPAs are today. At the origin, crystal malt was not yet being made. Also, the pale malt used was much lighter than current pale malts.

A pretty good book, if somewhat poorly organized. I think the authors should have had better comments/evaluations on the recipes. I'd have preferred a note saying which of the 27 recipes (all very similiar) would be a definitive example from a period or region. Instead, you get Recipe A at 1.068 with x amount of golding, while Recipe B at 1.074 has 2x goldings, etc...all variations and I was left wondering well....maybe this one...no...that one....

Beerboy (81.134.148.158)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got the book cheesehead and agree with your comments.

I would like make a recipe from the book. Or one based on it. I guess the basic premise of the traditional IPA's was massively overhopped beers that were aged for a year or more. Some of the beers use almost a pound of hops for 5 gallons. I would try this but the wort losses must be massive so I may use Challenger hops for bittering (Similar to golding but twice the AA rating). I suppose it would be more authentic to use fuggles and goldings though. I'll have to think on it.

I think what you've got to do is pick one or brew something generic.

My idea was to brew something with an og of 1.070 with 90% pale and 10% sugar and bittering it to 170IBU's or something like that using challenger hops and add some golding and/or fuggles near the end (although finishing hops aren't mentioned in the recipes). Then age for 10 months or so and dry hop for a month before either bottling or kegging.

Fancy formulating a recipe cheesehead? I could make it here in England and you could make it in the US and we could send it to each other via the Cape of Good Hope and India!

jim williams (68.0.214.107)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there a US source for this book?

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up the CAMRA Stout & Porter book through Amazon, but it appears that both are out of stock at this time. Search with 'Homebrew Classic' as your key word.

cheesehead (134.84.5.64)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beerboy-

We need a homebrewer with a yacht who has the time to sail! Sounds like the ideal club activity. A bunch of brewers make an old recipe, keg it, stash it in someone's boat, that boat heads around the horn...

Or maybe someone the East coast of the US could sail down around Florida to the Yucatan and we all meet in Cancun to sample the beer. Who's in? ;-)

You can get the book from the CAMRA web site: www.camra.org.uk

It's a little pricey, about $25 for a paperback.

Although, IPA orginated in London, it was perfected in Burton. There were also a lot of prominent Scottish versions.

Here's a version from Burton from 1839, which I'm going to try:

17.4 lbs pale malt

5.4 oz Golding 5% alpha acid

OG 1.083

I won't go into the archaic brewing methods, but will simply mash at 150 for an hour.

Oddly, a local brew pub in the Twin Cities, Town Hall, has a beer now that they call Centennial, which is made with just pale malt, a bit of malted wheat and all Centennial hops.

It's as pale as a pils and very hoppy. Wonderful. I had this a few days before reading the CAMRA IPA book and thought it might be very similiar to what an historical IPA might be like. If you're in the Twin Cities get over there and try it.

Wykowski (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take offence to CAMRA's designation of "Real Ale" or as I call it "So Called Real ALe"

if you look back at brewing history, methods of brewing and serving are always evolving as people find Better ways of doing things, this is 2004 we have refridgerators and co2 tanks,

British IPA was a short-lived style that died long-ago, only to be revived and improved upon by American Brewers....

IMHO, cask ale is sometimes OK, if you like warm, flat beer, I'm an American I would rather drink Cold, Force Carbed beer......

I understand the "tradition" aspects, but my point is, using "the current modern methods" is also a tradition as the brewing world has changed so much in the last 200 years

cheesehead (134.84.5.64)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not interested in making beer using outmoded methods. Some cask beer is quite good and neither warm nor flat.

Styles, on the other hand, die out and it's worth looking back to see how they were made. Take Renner's work with reviving the Classic American Pils. Wow. What a wonderful beer that is.

Also, consider that Belgian wit almost died as well and was revived.

What I didn't know, and found fascinating about the original IPAs is that they were very pale beers, not what we've come to know now: the very hoppy amber IPAs, which I love and were my primary motivation in getting started homebrewing.

Jim Layton (67.31.225.208)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coincidently, I brewed an historic IPA just two weeks ago. 14.5 pounds pale ale malt and 7.75 oz. EKG pellets in a 6.5 gallon brew, OG 1.064. The recipe came from "Old British Beers and How to Make Them", by Dr. John Harrison and Members of the Durden Park Beer Circle.

At least it won't be lacking hop bitterness.

aleman (207.109.230.86)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real ale is not warm and flat, its served at cellar temps with half the carbonation level of american lagers. This allows one to enjoy the subtle nuances of the hops, malt and yeast. I would hate to condem centuries of brewing knowledge. Ale is fine force carbed but should be served at 50 to 58 degrees not cold.

David C Johnson (67.2.42.35)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1000 ways to do and undo styles. I like to find ale houses that do draught and cellar temp beers but some don't go over very well. I will continue the quest however.

I've been researching "dead" or old styles. So far, I've got two I think hit the mark with. What I have found out: the closer you get to the root of a style the more diffuse it gets. Simpler explanation: It all basically comes down to someone brewing on the farm (Sahti from Finland, I've never found it commercially) or at the local ale house using burnt grain and blending with a lighter ale (Porter, but the jury is out on that one), or brewing for a long ship voyage (India Pale). Thanks to us for chasing the style guidelines and tweaking them.

No offense to CAMRA but they're not really advancing anything other than preserving a style. I just don't like the name "real ale". It's all pretty real to me.

dave

Greg Beron (66.47.129.204)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This isn't exactly an answer to Jim's question (way above), but I've ordered directly from CAMRA in the past with no problems. In fact, when I ordered their Cellarmanship book it was in my hands within 10 days.

http://shop.camra.oxi.net/acatalog/CAMRA_Merchandise_Home_Brewing_76.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.