Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Januray 20, 2004 * Cleaning ball valve < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Ken Durning (68.98.41.106)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a zymico kit last week, and was just looking at the ball valve. It has a glob of clear grease inside of it lubing the ball. What do I use to clean this out, that will not leave any nasty residues?

Thanks,
Ken

Pete Strunk (67.74.76.216)
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken, I'll take a shot at this. It is most likely food grade silicone grease. You might be able to use hot water and what ever kind of detergent you use for your beer gear to clean it up. I'm sure others wiil give idea's.

Bill R (198.81.26.14)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen,& you ladies too, flush with hot water, keep detergents away from the brewing stuff, generally cleaning with a scrubby & hot water with a good rince works. The insides of valves that are mounted right on the boil kettle will be sterilized just from the heat they consume, don't beleive me, touch it after 60 minuits.

Andrew Bales (65.28.61.181)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a 27mm socket and breaker bar and to open up my ss ball valves so I can disassemble them and clean them prior and post use. Once opened, they are easy to open and close from then on. The brass ones also hold wort inside of them regardless of rinsing. But alot of people including bill don't do that much other than rinse or soak at half open. Beer does get trapped back there, they all smell of wort even after rinsing [wort can be held in the gap between the plastic washers and the ball, the cavity does have air space in there].

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always open and close the valve a few times during rinsing and cleaning. Ball valves are not totally sanitary; that's the main reason commercial fermenters use butterfly valves. However, with a little extra care during cleaning they work well enough for homebrewing.

Adam W (128.125.6.113)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yikes, disassembling ball valves?! Prior and post brew session!!!!!

I nominate Andrew for the most anal brewer of the year award. I realize it is only January 6th, but I feel pretty confident that my nomination will hold through 2004!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.